F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Factory Pro Shift Detention Spring (shift kit) -- False nuetrul killer, and my review

Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Pro Shift Detention Spring (shift kit) -- False nuetrul killer, and my review

Hey everyone!

So I recently put some serious upgrades into my F2, and one of them was the factory pro shift kit. The kit claims to help eliminate false nuetrul's, which I was getting plenty of when riding the F2 maxed out and shifting. It primarily occured between 1st and second, and sometimes second and third gear.

The shift kit is amazingly basic, as it is just a replacement shift detention spring and a new gasket for your clutch cover. The process of instillation however isn't extremely easy. You've got to remove the clutch entirely to get at the area where you change the shift detention spring. Instillation of the spring itself isn't too bad, but be prepared to fiddle with it all a bit. The directions say to make sure you can shift through all gears at that point, and they aren't joking. If you can't shift through all the gears, it won't get better when you put the bike back together.

Riding with the shift kit is interseting. Shifting will now require far more effort, however when the bike does shift it is with a far more positive clunk, and definitely eliminates all false nuetruls. For those who ride in sneakers or non motorcycle specific boots, you will undoubtedly find the shifting a bit clunky. With my alpinestar sp2 plus's on however, shifting actually feels great as the thick boot can handle the additional strength required no problem.

It does require some adjusting to for riding, but with some patience it'll be well worth it. I'm really happy with mine, and it's killed false nuetruls and enabled me to ride the bike harder with confidence.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Hi
What is those "false neutrals" and what causes them?
I have had few times when bike "drops" out of gear.
Well, its pretty scary, cause i don't want to change gearbox or clutch
As i spoke with some friends with more knowledge, they said its quite frequent problem with Honda's older models.
How bad is it?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:35 PM

It looks like this guy was banned, so he won't be responding I bet!

I've got the factory pro shift kit as well, and I got it for the same reasons. My "dropping out of gear" didn't occur out of nowhere though, it only occured when I was shifting, and went to go into the next gear (from 2nd into 3rd).

This fixes the problem, but does make shifting pretty tough at first. The spring wears in a bit though and then the shifting is fine.