CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Shift Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Kit?

So I was just wondering if anybody had a Factory Pro Shift Kit?

I was thinking about buying one for my F2 and seeing if it would take some of the slop out of the transmission. I'm also wondering if anybody just purchased the shift kit, or if they spent the extra bills on the EVO Shift star upgrade.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 01-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shift Kit?

I have used the Factory shift kits on several bikes over the years and have found they help provide more 'positive' shifting. This is due to the stronger spring supplied. I believe it helps ensure the complete enagagment of the next gear esp when speed shifting. I have not used the 'improved' shift star but in general I have had great experience with Factory Pro over the years (products & support) and would recommend anything they sell. That said, these items will probably not cure slop in the trans-can you be more specific on this condition?
Is it only when shifting? Is it at constant speeds with light throttle input? Is it the same in all gears? Does it pop out of gear? Are you using high quailty motorcycle (non-automotive) engine oil?

Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, generally the only issue is the 1st to 2nd shift where sometimes if not enough force is used, it'll slide into neutral. This is the only really noticeable time that theres any slop in shifting. Do you think I could work this out by adjusting the shifter linkage, as opposed to a shift kit?
It doesn't slide out of gear, the 1st and 2nd is the only condition where there's anything noticeable. Where the throttle is at really doesn't seem to make a difference. I run Casterol non-synthetic automotive oil.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Clutch worn?

Old 01-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok...cool, that is a clear description. The shift kit may very well improve that condition. I would recommend strongly changing the oil you use (I know that many people will chime in with their 2 cents on this now) but one fact I know is that oil engineeered for motorcycles is blended specifically for that application (both synth or non-synth). The oil for bikes like ours needs to work well as engine oil, transmission oil, and still work with the clutch. This is different then what automobile engines demand. You may find that quality motorcycle oil (Motul, Golden Spectro, etc) can improve the transmission function and in addition to better protecting your 11k rpm motor (not many car engines running those revs)!
If I remember correctly the shift kit can be installed by dropping the oil pan. I can't remember if you can also do the star at the same time??? Considering you have to drain oil to do the shift kit, you could change the oil type at the same time.