General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do it yourself painting ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do it yourself painting ?

i just bought a cbr600rr that was dropped at a slow speed i wanted to re paint a fender. i was wondering if anyone knew what paint to use and how to go about painting it. please help thanks

Old 08-04-2010, 04:49 PM

I used Rhino Liner
but a good ppg paint from autozone, etc... would work. just sand / primer / wetsand / paint / wet sand / and clear coat and you will be good.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 PM

If your looking to factory match it, www.colorrite.com has the correct colors they send to you either in arosol cans, paint pens, or half pints. If you have the ability, buy the half pint and clear and it will last a long time. However, a half pint is only enough to do a little more than a fender, so it doesnt go very far. And its pricey.

You could go to your local autobody store and have them colormatch it for you.

Or, which is usually cheaper and easier for small items, check on ebay and buy a good used fender in your color. It would probably be cheaper than trying to repaint the one you have. You can usually pick up a good fender on ebay for 20-30 bucks.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justasquid
If your looking to factory match it, www.colorrite.com has the correct colors they send to you either in arosol cans, paint pens, or half pints. If you have the ability, buy the half pint and clear and it will last a long time. However, a half pint is only enough to do a little more than a fender, so it doesnt go very far. And its pricey.

You could go to your local autobody store and have them colormatch it for you.

Or, which is usually cheaper and easier for small items, check on ebay and buy a good used fender in your color. It would probably be cheaper than trying to repaint the one you have. You can usually pick up a good fender on ebay for 20-30 bucks.
Ok so what are the winning lottery #s for Friday's Powerball???

I was just thinking today of trying to find a touch up pen to eliminate that single scratch on my F4i. But figured matching the color would be a PITA. Colorrite has the "Cany Tahitian Blue" and the base Bookmarked for after I get a FPR

Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 AM

I've used the spray paint cans from colorrite.com for a small damaged section on my car door and recently on my f3 from where the previous owner had dropped it. If you take the time to prep and sand it properly and use the spray primer, color and clear it will match your existing colors great and is hard to tell it was done from a can. The only real downside is that it won't last as long as using a spray gun and better clear but the car part I painted with the spray cans has lasted over a year without damage/peeling/fading. Heck it even made it through this past winter.

If you have painted using a gun before then go for it. It def is the better option. But if you haven't I'd recommend the spray cans. =P good luck!

Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 AM

I've also used the colorite products with great results. Just take your time and it works great!