General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Painting

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY Painting

ORIGINAL: im4u2nv81

sweep the fugg out of the floor, then sweep it again, then spray it with water (keeps dust down).
wetting the floor can be bad...depending on the paint you choose, the high humidity might cause some of the paint droplets to cure mid air as its sprayed....I was told this buy the guy I mention below.

Igive the professional paint jobs (car repair, street bike)to a pro - you can often find a guy who's a painter at a shop that also paints out of his home. I have a coworker whose husband paints $50,000 hot rods at home....he shot a set of plasticsfor me for $350 (includingsingle a stage metallic and clear)....I gave them to him primed...you could dip your arm in the finish it was sooo nice.

I do my fiberglass/track bodyworkwith a rattle can....it only has to look good from 20 feet, and should be a color that you can buy duct tape in...

Old 04-11-2007, 01:39 AM

ORIGINAL: K1Dan

what paint are you planning on using and what sort of quality do you hope to achieve?

i spray my own race bikes with spray cans and get a decent result however theres a different way of using cellulose or 2 pack paint so which one are you going for?

I'm going flat. Can flat lookgood.....ummmmgreatout of a can?

Old 04-11-2007, 03:21 AM

flat colors out of a can will look good, my friend painted pieces of his interior on his truck flat black..

ive never painted the plastics on a bike, but ive painted the dash in my last truck (primer, base, clear) and painted my old jeep and the truck that i painted the dash in..

my dash was textured(sp?) so i sanded it smoooth with 320 dry, then went to a 400wet and then a 600 wet sand paper..
use a degreaser and wipe the plastics down using a clean paper towel(wear latex/rubber gloves while doing this).. i like those blue shop towels since they dont leave pieces on the plastics. wipe the plastic down with the degreaser(can get a gallon of it at any auto store for like 10bux) then with a new towel wipe it dry and let it sit for a bit so the vapors go away. then put new latex gloves on, and spray your primer...
i used a spray gun for all this, but with a can, just be sure you shake it real good, and try to find the spray cans with the adjustable tip for a vertical or horizontal spray fan, instead of a circle like the cheap kind. start spraying before you even hit the plastics. be sure to keep the same distance and the same angle.
Dont use a sweeping motion with your wrist, it makes the out sides lighter than the center.

once you get your primer sprayed, let it cure and then wet sand it with 1000grit.
then wipe the piece down with degreaser again... making sure to put new gloves on every step so you dont get any grease or oils on the plastics, as it causes fish eyes in the paint. then spray your base, how ever many coats you want.. once you happy, let it cure, then wet sand with a 1200 or 1500gritt.
if you want to use a clear coat, then repeat the steps above and wet sand with 2000grit sand paper. and then you can buff and wax it for a nice shine!

hope that helps out some of yal... i am no expert by any means, thats just the way i do it and i am very pleased with the results and ppl give alot of compliments on how smooth it is and shiney..

Old 04-11-2007, 05:52 AM

ow man ANYTHING plastic, I go with bulldog adhesive premoter(awsome stuff) and then believe it or not ow what is it kraylon for plastic.... something like that. its like 3-4 bucks a can but it works beautiful with that bulldog as a primer. and it's hard to find a spray can paint strong enough to hold in az with the heat. but that stuff i would even put on my armrest and it was never sticky. they have satin or glossy. actually ... i think ill go get me some now [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 AM

i use halfords and get an alright finish....

prep the bodywork... repair any damage, smooth it down and then rough it up with 800 grit paper. then degrease with autoglym bike degreaser and wipe dry with a towel (anything which done shed 'bits').

then primer it with 7 or 8 coats. give each coat about 2mins before spraying over... do it in thin lines about 8inches from the paintwork or it will run. then wait 30mins after final primer coat and do the same with the base coat... then wait 30 mins and laquer it the same.. 7 or 8 coats. then let it dry for 2 days.

after 2 weeks if needbe t-cut it.

this was my result... admittedly a bit longer due to 3 colours, radiant red, gloss black, and appliance white.

one thing to bear in mind is that the paint will smear if you get petrol on it. if you dont want to keep spraying the tank every few months then spray the tank in 2 pack paint and a decent laquer.