General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connecting battery to starter directly.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Connecting battery to starter directly.

How do I connect the starter motor terminal to the battery terminal to try to figure out if its my starter motor thats faulty or relay, or the cable? It would very appreciative if anyone as any advice for me.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it still cranking?

post a video..

Last edited by IDoDirt; 05-22-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 05-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jumper cables would be my method.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 426 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by EL Thorsby
How do I connect the starter motor terminal to the battery terminal to try to figure out if its my starter motor thats faulty or relay, or the cable? It would very appreciative if anyone as any advice for me.
Clamp negative-cable to case of starter. Pull back rubber cover over positive-terminal of starter (it has the bolted-on cable from the starter-relay). Then tap the positive-cable to the positive-terminal of starter. Make sure you're in neutral.

Another way to test relay is to use voltmeter. Put negative to case of starter. Put positive-probe to positive terminal. When you push starter-button, you should see battery-voltage at the positive-terminal on the starter. Can also hear the starter-relay click.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only sound coming from the starting system is the click of the relay. Earlier I disconnected the relay to the starter motor, and connected the starter motor to the positive side of battery. And tried to start it to see if the starter would try to start over, but it wouldn't.

[QUOTE=dannoxyz;1057366]Clamp negative-cable to case of starter. Pull back rubber cover over positive-terminal of starter (it has the bolted-on cable from the starter-relay). Then tap the positive-cable to the positive-terminal of starter. Make sure you're in neutral.

Could you please explain more about the clamp negative-cable part. I don't really understand how that would work, with it not connecting to the battery?

Last edited by IDoDirt; 05-22-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Stop double posting
Old 05-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you connect a cable from the positive battery terminal directly to the positive lug on the starter motor, then the starter motor should turn over immediately and keep running until the cable is disconnected. You don't have to hit the starter button, you're bypassing all of the bike's starting system.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Received 426 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by EL Thorsby
The only sound coming from the starting system is the click of the relay. Earlier I disconnected the relay to the starter motor, and connected the starter motor to the positive side of battery. And tried to start it to see if the starter would try to start over, but it wouldn't.

Originally Posted by dannoxyz
Clamp negative-cable to case of starter. Pull back rubber cover over positive-terminal of starter (it has the bolted-on cable from the starter-relay). Then tap the positive-cable to the positive-terminal of starter. Make sure you're in neutral.
Could you please explain more about the clamp negative-cable part. I don't really understand how that would work, with it not connecting to the battery?
The negative side of the circuit should already be grounded to the frame anyway. But I like to run a negative-cable just in case. So I clamp it to the body of the starter or to the bolt that holds it to the engine. Then tap the positive-terminal with the other cable.