F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Will a few leds kill my battery if directly wired?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a few leds kill my battery if directly wired?

I ordered this, you guys may think it's cheezy or whatever but I think it will look pretty cool on my bike and I'm wondering if I can wire it directly to my battery and leave it running all the time with that back and forth motion. I know LEDs don't use much juice but this is pretty bright.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:39 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want it running ALL the time, even when the bike is turned off? Why?

Also, with those flashing red lights you might check your local laws. Something like that looks like it belongs on an emergency vehicle and it might be illegal to have it on your bike.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

I'm guessing those would get you some unwanted attention from local law enforcement, regardless if they are legal or not.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:41 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did an LED kit on katrina. It was all buried under the plastics so it was more like a glow kit. I installed a switch so I could turn it on/off. You can wire to the battery, sure, but why? Why not wire to the bikes wiring? That way it is fused, switched etc...

And like the others have said, flashing/strobing lights will make you have a bad time with the LEOs.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't get it... it's a brake light... you don't want to use it as a brake light?

Anyways, I'd put a switch on it or wire it into the ignition. Your battery is not meant to constantly have a load on it when it's off... Even if you're riding your bike often enough to where it doesn't drain the battery, it'll weaken it over time and definitely shorten it's lifespan

Old 03-07-2014, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
I don't get it... it's a brake light... you don't want to use it as a brake light?

Anyways, I'd put a switch on it or wire it into the ignition. Your battery is not meant to constantly have a load on it when it's off... Even if you're riding your bike often enough to where it doesn't drain the battery, it'll weaken it over time and definitely shorten it's lifespan
I want to use it as a second brake light and to make me more noticeable to drivers. I was just thinking it would be kind of cool to have that on when it's parked outside of places. Kind of like the flashing light that comes with alarm systems. maybe not though! not a big deal, more curiosity than anything I guess lol.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:40 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theadamie
I want to use it as a second brake light and to make me more noticeable to drivers. I was just thinking it would be kind of cool to have that on when it's parked outside of places. Kind of like the flashing light that comes with alarm systems. maybe not though! not a big deal, more curiosity than anything I guess lol.
Sure, a second brake light would make you more noticeable, absolutely. Having one flashing at all times is just going to confuse people behind you and maybe cause an accident. If you want the faux alarm LED, get an LED like this:
10 x LED 5mm Red Slow Flashing Blinking Strobe Ultra Bright LEDs 1Hz Plane RC | eBay
Wire that to the battery (FUSED!) and put a switch on it (or better, an NC relay) so it isn't flashing when your bike is running.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by theadamie
Put a switch on it so that when it's in your garage or wherever, it's not draining the battery. Leaving it on while you're at a restaurant..or bike night...or something will be fine. But if it's on 24/7 - it'll eventually weaken your battery. For the cost of the smallest and most simple switch - it's crazy not to put a switch on it when it'll eventually ruin your battery.

Nothing wrong with a second brake light. These fit nicely on top of a license plate.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
Put a switch on it so that when it's in your garage or wherever, it's not draining the battery. Leaving it on while you're at a restaurant..or bike night...or something will be fine. But if it's on 24/7 - it'll eventually weaken your battery. For the cost of the smallest and most simple switch - it's crazy not to put a switch on it when it'll eventually ruin your battery.

Nothing wrong with a second brake light. These fit nicely on top of a license plate.
Yea, you're right, I'll probably do this Thanks!

Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Sure, a second brake light would make you more noticeable, absolutely. Having one flashing at all times is just going to confuse people behind you and maybe cause an accident. If you want the faux alarm LED, get an LED like this:
10 x LED 5mm Red Slow Flashing Blinking Strobe Ultra Bright LEDs 1Hz Plane RC | eBay
Wire that to the battery (FUSED!) and put a switch on it (or better, an NC relay) so it isn't flashing when your bike is running.
I have an alarm led wired to my Gorilla alarm but I thought this might be cool too. I don't think this will make things worse, it will get attention and if they know I'm there they won't hit me and when they see it flashing they will expect me to do SOMETHING and most people will know I'm braking I think. I'm gonna put real turn signals back on my bike too, I'm not happy with this integrated light. I always like to hear other opinions though.

Quick Reply: Will a few leds kill my battery if directly wired?