General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch repair and advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch repair and advice.

Hey Guys,

I know my clutch has been slipping for a while but now its gotten bad. I can't even slip the clutch to get the bike going that well any more.

I need some advice on a good cheap one. Money is a bit tight and i really don't want to drive my car. How hard is it to replace one. I got the manual and its seems like a breeze. Pull the case and replace a few discs.

What is a good place to get one and is the stealership worth the money. I have about 200 to get it done.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 AM

200 bucks should be plenty to get just about any high quality clutch kit. You certainly don't want to skimp on your clutch, and you want to replace the springs at the same time. the last thing you want is a weak spring to take out your new clutches.

If your bike doesn't require new plates, make sure to inspect them very carefully to make sure they are within tollerance to be re used.

Barnett complete kits on ebay for the F4i's. thats probably the way I would go. it is the complete kit with discs, plates, and springs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-06...Q5fAccessories

I've heard mixed reviews of EBC, but have never used them.

Also, make sure you inspect your basket really well to make sure you don't have any wear. Also, a great time to closely inspect the lifter bearing while you can get to it. You can simple do the "feel" test to make sure there aren't any spots that grab while you spin the bearing.

Not a hard job at all. can be done with basic hand tools. If you have any mechanical ability, you will be fine. Just follow the manual and it will go pretty quick. the only problem you may have is measuring the plates to make sure they are not warped and still within tollerance, but that only if you don't replace them.

And, if I have a choice, I will always choose higher quality components and do it myself, versus having cheaper components installed by someone else for the same amount of money out of my pocket.

Last edited by justasquid; 07-28-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks the only tool i don't have is the centering tool but would i really need that? It also talks about replacing a Lock nut and getting a new one also really necessary?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM

Your not planning on removing the entire clutch, basket and all are you?

You only need to remove the lifter plate, the discs, springs and plates and replace... there shouldn't be a need for a new nut since it holds on the clutch inner. If you do remove the clutch inner, then a new nut should be used since most are staked in position and become damaged by removing them.

As for the centering tool, different clutches require different tools, but I've never used one, so I'm not even sure what its used for. If you are reffering to the center holding tool, then no, you don't need one, unless you are removing the entire clutch, which you shouldn't have to.

Last edited by justasquid; 07-29-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 PM

i am just replacing with an oem clutch. It was cheaper and i won't have to worry about kevlar chips. Can i use high heat bond or do i have to use the hondabond stuff?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the decision to get an oem clutch is likely a good one.
On the sealant... permatex grey is the same stuff as hondabond and can be found at your local stores for about 1/4 of the price.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 AM

Ok guys i reinstalled everything today and i ran into a problem i can't seem to get the lifter lever and the lifter pin to meet up and play nice any advice?

I will pull it again tomorrow to see if i can get them to meet is there something that i can feel to know they are seated properly.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Really guys no advice at all

Has no one done there own clutch?

Do i need to be more specific?

Any advice would be nice.