General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which chain is better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009 | 02:14 PM
|
Default What type of chain do you prefer?

I know alot of people go with RK, but i havent really heard much about other chains. I read that if your bike came factory with an O-ring chain, you have to replace it with an O-ring chain. You cant replace it with an X-Ring type chain. Is that true?

I just ordered a new pair of vortex sprockets (-1/+2) 15/47, (first chain/sprocket replacement) and I'm trying to find the right new chain to get, and hopefully not spend a fortune on a chain rivet tool as well...

These are the chains I've found/are looking at... RK, Bikemaster 525, Parts Unlimited

Last edited by Jinx; 07-31-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2009 | 07:39 PM

The x-ring chain is just a better designed oring chain. there is still an oring, but the instead of the orings profile being round, it has raised ribs that are suppose to seal and trap out dirt better.

there shouldn't be any reason you can't run an X-ring chain. You never want to run a non-o-ring chain, but an X ring chain should be fine.

Im not familiar with EK chains, in that I've never used them. I've heard of them, and they are all over in racing. The thing I don't like about racing is that a lot of publicity gets into the public as it being good enough for racing, its good enough for the street. that doesnt always come out true. The interval that wear items are changed out on a race bike are far more often than would ever happen on a street bike, so the durability is always in question for me. thats not to say they don't make a great chain, I just don't know first hand.

I've always used D.I.D. chains and have always gotten plenty of miles out of them. usually if I find something that works for me, I stick with it.

Old 07-31-2009 | 08:12 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Smile

Just recently I changed my chain and was able to buy an EK MVXZ in gold on e-Bay for $109 shipped (brand new from a store). It's supposed to be their top of the line chain (stretch resistant), but besides that the looks are awesome, lol. Here's a little write-up on the install that might help: LINK.

Old 07-31-2009 | 09:53 PM

ek, rk, did, all depends on what you want to spend.