General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR250RR Starting issues

Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR250RR Starting issues

Hi, ppls im very new to everything so bear with me if i
get a few things wrong here and there.

i recently just brought myself a Honda CBR250RR (1990)
and it started to play up every morning refusing to start up.
ive checked the battery using a guide from a cbr forum and the battery is fine.

So i spent half a day following another guide on how to change ur sparks plugs. After 3 hours of playing around ive finally took out hte plugs and noticed that there was a thin layer of black oil, water, some sort of residue over the threads of the plug. So my first thought was clean the sparks and put them back in, and with that.. my bike fired up fine, until i left it over night again and it did the same thing, refused to start.

So i went out yesterday and spent $80 on Irridium Spark Plugs and spent 2 hours replacing all my sparks and with that i saw that there was that thin layer of residue there again, but this time there was less of it. So after replacing the old plugs with Iridiums my bike started fine, rode around all day but after leaving it overnight again it wont start. I tried to push start it up this morning a few times with no luck. >.<

Ive got no idea what i should do besides taking the bike in for a service, but first i want to know if anyone ever had the same issue or similar who can shread some light on me.

Any adviced or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned
Default RE: CBR250RR Starting issues

spent $80 on Irridium Spark Plugs
Wow!!!

Having oil leak onto the plugs is bad. Having oil and water is real bad. Maybe a head gasket or cracked head? I hope I am wrong. What doe the oil look like, although where the leak is it may notmanifest itself there. Did it smoke blue or white when you ran it? Or no smoke at all?

Like I said I hope I am wrong, I like the idea of a small cbr running around out there. Let us know what it is. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Default RE: CBR250RR Starting issues

I am not real familiar with a 1990 cbr, but I imagine it is carbed and not fuel injected. I have always been taught to make sure to turn the fuel off whenever the bike sits for more than a hour or two. Make sure you are turning the fuel switch off when you let it sit otherwise it is probably leaking a slight about of fuel through the needle and seat in the carbs causing the engine to flood. Something you can try next time it doesnt start is holding the throttle wide open and cranking the engine several times until it begins to start and slowly let off the throttle so it keeps running. This allows extra air through the carbs with the throttle plates wide open to in effect help dry out the excess fuel which is built up in the cylinders. Like the previous post also pay attention to any excessive smoke coming out of the exhaust and what color the smoke appears to be. Hope this helps!