F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Starting Issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Issues.....

So today when I went to go purchase a 02 f4i, it didnt want to start. I took the bike for a short test ride down the street and back,ran excellent. Came back and started paperwork and when trying to leave, it would turn over but not start. A little bit of gas was leaking from the slip on bolts. Ive read into other starting issues and everything seems to be normal (fuel pump priming, solenoid clicking) but its as if it doesnt have spark. Ive checked and it does have spark. Any ideas? Could it be flooded somehow?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 AM

with starting issues it could be among many things causing the issue. You will have to try and pin point the issue. If you have spark then its most likely a fuel issue, could also be a bad sensor somewhere. I would check the fuel system for leaks, check the fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, and injectors. Is there a real bad bog when first getting it started? How many miles? What did the plugs look like(fouled, gap in spec)?

Old 06-14-2011, 05:11 PM

its got 18,000kms on it and i havent had the chance to tinker with it today. how will i know if the regulator or pump is bad? Also the previous owner said he left **** gas in it and started it and rode it around for a bit then drained the gas just before i went for a test ride? could it have clogged something?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 PM

I forget how to go about testing the pump and regulator, ive seen it on the forums here somewhere can just do a search and find that. Having bad gas in there deffinitally could of screwed something up. Can try putting some seafoam or fuel treatment in the tank and see if it clears it up. The service manual should also help you with your troubleshooting.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:52 PM

im taking the plugs out tomorrow and checking everything over. My goal is to have running so i can take advantage of this weather. ill update tomorrow thanks

Old 06-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by fragoso87
A little bit of gas was leaking from the slip on bolts.
From other members on the forum, apparently if the fuel pressure regulator decides to pack in, you'll get gas coming out of your exhaust due to the regulator leaking gas directly from your tank into your cylinders and then as you crank over the bike it shoots it out.

I know a little bit about this myself, a couple months back i had to replace my FPR. I had the same symptoms, hard to start but fuel pump primes and everything else is normal. I'd take out the plugs and clean them up, put them back in, and try to start it again, but do it with your throttle wide open. If it starts, then you know it's your regulator cuz the bike is running wayyyyyy too rich.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 AM

So I was tinkering around with it tonight and normally it cranks over but tonight all I got was the starter solenoid clicking......I'm calling tomorrow for a new FPR , but any ideas why its not even turning over? Bad ground? Starter/kill switch problem?

Old 06-16-2011, 12:41 AM

Dead battery or possible hydo locked from a bad fpr allowing too much fuel into the cylinder.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 AM

battery isnt dead, its been tested.......and its turned over a couple times.....could it still be hydro locked?

Old 06-16-2011, 08:41 PM

Well it could be hydro locked if it is don't try and crank it anymore or it can bend or break your rods. take the plugs out then see if it cranks (it may shoot gas out so be careful)

Quick Reply: Starting Issues.....