CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issues

now before im roasted on here, i did a search, but found several different answers. So i figured i would post my problem up and see if anyone can help.

i recently bought a '95 F3 for $800. it sat for about 6 months outdoors. got it home, cleaned out the tank, took the bowls off the carbs, and cleaned everything up as best we could without actually removing them. bike still wont start. it ran for about 5 seconds, with a really deep exhaust grumble. We removed the fuel line going to the carbs, and turned the bike on, nothing. Tried turning the engine over, and gas kinda spits out of the hose, not a solid flow.

I am not sure what else to try, i havent hooked it up direct to a 12v source yet ( daylight constraints ). I read on here to run a fuel line straight to the fuel rail to get the bowls filled first so as to not run the battery down. what else can i try? today is the first day ive messed with the bike, but its rather disheartening.

should i just replace the regulator/rectifier as a safety since the bike sat outside for so long? Is a new fuel pump in order. someone please help me!!!

Old 08-22-2006, 04:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: starting issues

'm not supprised you got so many replies, I think it's fuel, that is I assume you checked the plugs, seeing as your going to all that trouble?
I suspect it's either the fuel pump or the fuel filter obstructing the flow of go juice
The reg will be an issue on just about all CBR's at some time or other, but I don't think that the issue here. although sure as, someone will say otherwise.
Bikes don't like being left outside for six months, you get condensation, little bloody critters taking residence in the wiring and stuff, corrosion everywhere, and it can stuff the battery.
Your on the right track, it's a process of elimination, 1st thing, trickle charge the battery, so you got power, and go from there.
We have an aerosal spray over here in Australia, for the carbs, believe it not, it's called "Start You Bastard" But I think that there would be an equivelant product there to help. Rather than try putting petrol straight in.
Don't give up, good luck

Old 08-22-2006, 11:38 AM

You might also consider draining the tank and replacing the gas - unless there was some stabilzer in there when it got put out to sit, that gas is more than likely not good anymore. Might as well try the easy things first...

Old 08-22-2006, 12:25 PM

Forget replacing the rectifier, as long as the batterys fully charged it will run for a good 20 ~ 30 miles before you start to notice the drain. so get the bike running 1st then check the charge rate.
my guess is the fuel is gummed in the jets, it happens when the bikes have been stood for so long and the jets are considerably smaller in bike than cars thats why us bikers have problems with storing for long periods.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:43 AM

I would try taking the carbs off, and take them apart 1 at a time. Then get like 2-3 cans of carb cleaner and go to town cleaning them out.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:52 PM

Ok, here how I would appoarch it. I just bought mine 2 weeks ago. Been sitting outside for 2 months, won't start either. The oxidized gas has been sitting for two long, it looks like french fries oil. Anyway, I took the carb out of the bike and clean them separately, I only split the 4 carbs in half by that I mean I still have 2 together, it is easier to put them back than by separating by individually. Spray it with cabs cleaner with a little tiny draw, insert the draw and spray like crazy in every holes you can find. Also clean the bowls and float thing the valve too. While you at it, spray all the hoses and use your mouth blow hard to confirm no clogs, like I did. Put them back together, remember the syns spring too. Also clean the air filter with soap and slap the son of the gun to the ground to remove all debris like I did, hehe save some money too.
Next step, is also to change the fuel filter and also confirm that the fuel pump is working properly. I found out that the fuel pump will only pumps when you press the start button not like car when it pumps anytime the key is turned on. Take the fuel pump out the connect directly to the battery. Check with manual for proper + and - terminal for the wire. www.stephygee.com . Check for continous flow of gas in the bucket too. Ok if it works. Put that back on the bike and put the tank back. Pull out the outlet hose or insert extra hose (from autozone:tranny hose) from the pump hang it over the buck and crank the engine to see if fuel pump is pump. If you get fuel, but won't start. Next step check for spark of at 1 and 2 cyclinder.
Ok, if u r getting sparks, fuel and won't start. Like my bike. It took my 8 days (5 hours/day) to find out the problem. If u haven't read my post already. In the manual from stephygee, it says that if the tube #1 or the smaller to the two breather tube is clogged, it WON'T START. Like I did, I took the gas tank of the bike leave the rubber hose that connected to the tank in place with the bike (use the mouth again to confirm no clogage of the two tubes for my 98 F3) . Place and small funnel over the fuel inlet hose that connected to the gas tank. Pour until the gas fill the funnel, and start and engine. Whoala, mine started when I did that. Now, spray buy a new throttle cleaner and spray almost all of the down the smaller breather tube like I did. Take the tank to a gas station and use compress air to push and clogg out of the metal tubing that coils inside of the gas tank. Use a small piece of the tranny hose as an adapter to channel of powered air and use your finger to squeeze the adapter when pumping the air into the small diameter metal tubing. If you have extra bicycle brake cable at home, pull the metal part out of the plastic cover. Use it as a clog plunger, try to force it inch by inch to the the small metal tubing. Eventually, it will remove the clog if compress air did not help. But the clog will fall back in the gas tank and hopefully, the new fuel filter will take care of that problem for u and me. Oh, also now hold the tank with both hand and use your mouth and blow to confirm no clog in the metal tubing like I did. If clog have been removed, it should be easy to blow. If not, then perform the above stuff with compress air and bicycle brake cable. I was a desparate to start my stupid bike I used all of my body parts, j/k. At least, the mouth is the most useful tool for clog check. Ok now put the tank back and start the bad boy. Hopefully, it will start. Good luck man.
PS: Mine didn't have any eletrical problem, therefore I have not read up on electrical problem yet. Hopefully, that your bike won't have an electrical problem or else it would be harder to fix. Check out the pix too

Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 PM

Or you could take the easy way out like I did. Got mine from Partzparts.