Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

Hi guys,

new member here.

I have a 1989 CBR600F.

Im having some starting problems. Shortly after I bought the bike, it was giving me issues with starting. It'll crank over and over before it finally fires. I usually have to give it throttle.

I took the bike into the shop last week. Diagnosed as misfiring. Checked the coils, did compression test. Ended up just needing a carb cleaning according to them .Got the carbs cleaned, new gaskets etc, re-synced.

It runs a hell of a lot better but still has issues starting when cold. If i put the choke on it kills the engine.

Any ideas? Im probably going to bring it back to the shop, but i'd rather not spend any more money with diag. I have a mechanical backround, but bikes are new to me.

Any tips or ideas will be appreciated.

Bryan

Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum

Does it only give you problems when cold starting? For example my bike sometimes won't start or really struggle if I give it full choke when it doesn't need it. Most days 1/2 or 1/3 is really all thats needed. Any more and it won't go.

And get some pics up!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Welcome to the forum

Does it only give you problems when cold starting? For example my bike sometimes won't start or really struggle if I give it full choke when it doesn't need it. Most days 1/2 or 1/3 is really all thats needed. Any more and it won't go.

And get some pics up!
Yes, its only when cold starting. Mainly in the morning or night. If its a warm day it'll start almost instantly. When I do finally get it to start it smells very rich, leading me to think the choke is adding too much fuel.

Pics to come soon!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM

How do I add pics? It says I don't have authorization. Lol

Old 11-06-2012, 04:06 PM

I would check the choke is working properly.
When you pull the choke on it moves a bar across the back of the carbs. The brackets that move the chokes on each carb are held onto the bar with a grub screw.
Mine would struggle to start only when cold and it turned out that the choke was only working on one carb as the grub screws were to lose and not applying the choke on the others, worth a quick look

Old 11-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dave_Wales
I would check the choke is working properly.
When you pull the choke on it moves a bar across the back of the carbs. The brackets that move the chokes on each carb are held onto the bar with a grub screw.
Mine would struggle to start only when cold and it turned out that the choke was only working on one carb as the grub screws were to lose and not applying the choke on the others, worth a quick look

Ok, will do.

Does this require me to disassemble the carbs? I have the manual, will take a look at it when I get home.

Thanks for your help.

Also, I would like to install frame sliders. I have only found swing arm sliders. Will a slider kit from an F2 work? To my knowledge the sliders mount to the engine mount bolts, correct?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 PM
June 2013 ROTM

You can use imageshack and then just post the link. I don't think it lets you post pics until you have 10 posts.

Has there been any aftermarket stuff added? Pipe? Jet kit than you know of. I had a bike that the carbs had been dicked around with so much that it would never run right. Was a heck of a job diagnosing problems with that.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by bburke88
Ok, will do.

Does this require me to disassemble the carbs? I have the manual, will take a look at it when I get home.

Thanks for your help.

Also, I would like to install frame sliders. I have only found swing arm sliders. Will a slider kit from an F2 work? To my knowledge the sliders mount to the engine mount bolts, correct?
You can see the choke slider work with the carbs on. Its a bar that connects all 4 choke plungers.

And I have not installed sliders before so I don't know. I just keep the rubber side down

Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
You can use imageshack and then just post the link. I don't think it lets you post pics until you have 10 posts.

Has there been any aftermarket stuff added? Pipe? Jet kit than you know of. I had a bike that the carbs had been dicked around with so much that it would never run right. Was a heck of a job diagnosing problems with that.

Nothing aftermarket. The owner was a middle aged guy who barely rode the bike. Everything is 100% stock OEM.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 AM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by bburke88
Yes, its only when cold starting. Mainly in the morning or night. If its a warm day it'll start almost instantly. When I do finally get it to start it smells very rich, leading me to think the choke is adding too much fuel.

Pics to come soon!
The choke works but restricting the air in the mixture to richen it, not by adding more fuel. Its normal to smell rich after cranking with choke, especially if the bike isn't starting.

So when its cold and in the morning, don't try it with just full choke, try half or so. These things take a little fiddling. I know the exact spot to set my choke in the morning, too much or too little and it won't go.

Failing this, I'd try checking your float levels. Its an often overlooked step in the cleaning/rebuilding process but can sometimes solve some problems.

Quick Reply: Starting issues