General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light always on

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011 | 05:29 AM
|
Post brake light always on

Just seeing if anyone knows how to fix this problem..My taillight stay bright like im always on the brakes when im not, and it seems when i pull front brake it dims or deactivates the brake light thats allways on i guess. My bike has aftermarket led's not sure if thats the problem or maybe they're wired wrong?...Just looking for some input, i unhooked the spring off rear brake and nothing happened, any ideas would be greatly apprieciated

Old 07-12-2011 | 05:44 AM
|

oh btw 99 cbr 600 f4 duh lol

Old 07-12-2011 | 11:33 AM

What happens when you put your sidelights on or are they always on as soon as you switch the ignition on? It could be that the wiring to the brake light was meant to be going to the smaller wattage bulb for the sidelight. I don't know how your LEDs are connected, but if they are two separate bulbs try swapping the wiring over. Another thing to try is to connect your spring to the rear brake light again and, using a multimeter, connect the red or positive lead to one of the rear light LED connections and the black or negative lead to any metal part of the bike. Press the foot brake and see which wire records voltage on your meter. This is the one for the brake light and the other will be for the sidelight. Also make sure the front brake light switch for the rear brake light is working ok as this might be sticking in the on position.

Originally Posted by daethtoll72
Just seeing if anyone knows how to fix this problem..My taillight stay bright like im always on the brakes when im not, and it seems when i pull front brake it dims or deactivates the brake light thats allways on i guess. My bike has aftermarket led's not sure if thats the problem or maybe they're wired wrong?...Just looking for some input, i unhooked the spring off rear brake and nothing happened, any ideas would be greatly apprieciated

Old 07-12-2011 | 12:37 PM

you could also check the brake light switch to see if it is out of adjustment. I had a bike that did that all the time and i found out that brake light switch on the foot pedal was pulled tight so it was always on. Start there and see where ya get.

Old 07-13-2011 | 12:50 AM
|

well my roomate said it was working the other day when i pull on front brake it goes dim like the brake light is on until i pull front brake so im need to know how to test that relay

Old 07-15-2011 | 06:10 AM

Check the front brake switch. There is a small piece of plastic that actuates the switch. I'm betting it's stuck. I'd pull the switch off and then check to see if this is the case. Hit it with some pb blaster and work it back and forth. While you are at it, you might as well clean the connector with electrical cleaner and use a dilectric or conductive grease to ensure it returns properly....