General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's going on here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's going on here?

Hey everybody I just registered here because I got a new bike.. I'm on a few other forums but came here specifically to ask a question..

I just got ahold of a 96 cbr 600 f3 and was wondering what could be the cause of the front wheel bearing to keep popping out from inside the wheel.. the bike only has 10,011 miles on it and I bought from the first owner who has always lived down the street from me.. he said he replaced it last month the first time when it happened thinking the bearing itself failed on him.. but now after failing again he took it to a mechanic that told him he would need a new rim.. i was thinking there would be a retainer that keeps the bearing in but after checking i see nothing.. is there any way to fix this without having to buy a whole new/used rim?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM

Each end of the wheel should have a seal in it against each of the bearings. A long spacer is on the right hand side and a short one on the left hand side and these go through each seal. These spacers, when everything is bolted up, bear against the inner diameter of the bearings keeping them in place. The spacer(s) may be missing!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Thanks.. I'm new to the F3 model's but after doing some more research after posting this morning and looking at the bike further into detail I started to realize something could be missing.. I even looked inside the inner well to make sure there wasn't a notch where a retainer was meant to be like this: http://blowbyu.ca/mediac/400_0/media/retaningclip.jpg

but just to make sure i'm ordering the right part is this the spacer you're speaking of? :BEARING RETAINER BRACKET 1996 HONDA CBR600 F3 on eBay!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:37 AM

I don't think that has anything to do with retaining a wheel bearing! I could be wrong, but your front wheel should have two bearings, two oil seals (or grease seals) and two spacers that bear up against the bearing(s) inner diameter. These spacers don't only take up the space between the fork legs and the wheel, but they bolt onto the face of the inner section of the bearing so the outer section can revolve around the bearing roller or *****. Hope this clears things up for you? I can't think of anything else.

Originally Posted by yungc1019
Thanks.. I'm new to the F3 model's but after doing some more research after posting this morning and looking at the bike further into detail I started to realize something could be missing.. I even looked inside the inner well to make sure there wasn't a notch where a retainer was meant to be like this: http://blowbyu.ca/mediac/400_0/media/retaningclip.jpg

but just to make sure i'm ordering the right part is this the spacer you're speaking of? :BEARING RETAINER BRACKET 1996 HONDA CBR600 F3 on eBay!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:38 PM

thanks for the replys guys and I got it fixed it was actually missing the whole right side seal and spacer.. i got ahold of one from the shop here in TN and then flipped around and sold to my dads neighbor.. he's just waiting for the title to be mailed in to him after i get back to NC, but i've known him for years and he has no problem with it he actually already has a 95 cbr 600 si idk what he's planning to do with this one but he said he's got big ideas..

on another note.... i got myself a deal on a 97 cbr600 just gotta pick up after i make it home to NC tomorrow! already wired over a bit of cash to hold for me! WILL POST PICS TOMORROW!

Old 07-15-2011, 10:28 AM

Just had to be a missing spacer and seal as you found out! Glad you spotted it and good luck with your 97 CBR 600!

Originally Posted by yungc1019
thanks for the replys guys and I got it fixed it was actually missing the whole right side seal and spacer.. i got ahold of one from the shop here in TN and then flipped around and sold to my dads neighbor.. he's just waiting for the title to be mailed in to him after i get back to NC, but i've known him for years and he has no problem with it he actually already has a 95 cbr 600 si idk what he's planning to do with this one but he said he's got big ideas..

on another note.... i got myself a deal on a 97 cbr600 just gotta pick up after i make it home to NC tomorrow! already wired over a bit of cash to hold for me! WILL POST PICS TOMORROW!