General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike sat with fuel in it for 2 years!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evo- Is your radiator fan kicking on? The fan should turn on at about 212 if im not mistaken (correct me if im wrong). If so you might also want to check your thermostat to make sure its not stuck closed. I had this issue not to long ago and its easy to swap out for a new one. As for the smoke, if it hasnt gone away by now it sounds like it may be a leak. Ive spilled fluid before and it smoked as soon as the bike was warm, but went away pretty quickly.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The temp fluctuations sound normal, as long as your fan is indeed kicking on.

As for the smoke it sounds like you got some fluid on your headers or something. If it continues after a ride I'd be concerned but if it was only the one time I'd let it go.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM

yeah the fan is kicking on at around 220 F. but it gets that hot just warming up.. is that normal? also the smoke is gone, but i can feel a lot heat emitting from the top of the engine. but its not smoking anymore. i can also smell a weird non exahst smell comming from the top of the engine..

Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TBH I dunno here. But you did just finish rebuilding her right? You got a bit of a breakin period to go through again.

I'd keep an eye open for major malfunctions (leaks, loud irregular sounds, true overheating) for a bit. Let the bike settle down. Then start looking at quirks

Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 PM

what would you say is extrem over heating.. i mean if i let her idle, shel get up to 220 degrees F. there is no more smoking. or smell. since the bike has been sitting for 2 years or more, is there anything else i should do? i changed the oil

Old 10-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evolution_X
what would you say is extrem over heating.. i mean if i let her idle, shel get up to 220 degrees F. there is no more smoking. or smell. since the bike has been sitting for 2 years or more, is there anything else i should do? i changed the oil
My bike's analog so I don't know the exact temp. While idling at a light, my temp gauge will hit about halfway after getting warmed up. Drops when moving because the air is cooling her. If at any point she began to near the redline, I'd grow concerned. Another hint of overheating will be the sound of coolant boiling in your bike. If you rebuilt her, you do have a breakin period to go through. Part of that time will be a breakin period for you too. You have to get to know her a bit.

My bike was similarly 'stored' and what I did to get her going was:
  • Flush the fuel system (replaced the gas)
  • Oil Change
  • Fuel filter change
  • New spark plugs
  • New air filter
  • Cleaned the carbs
  • Replaced any hoses that looked like they started to rot
  • Cleaned & retaped electrical connectors
  • New chain + sprockets (my change was rusted)
  • Flush the coolant and replace with new coolant
  • Flush & bleed the brakes
  • New tires
  • Inspected brake pads

Since you have an F4i, do whatever you're supposed to in order to clean fuel injectors. And give it a thorough inspection of all controls. Ride her tender while you two get acquainted

Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution_X
Anything from 170 - 228 is normal operating temps. In stop and go summer temps you will feel the heat in your legs and about 225-228 is normal. On the highway you will see around 170-180 is average.