General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike sat with fuel in it for 2 years!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gas may have started reacting with something in the fuel system, and it may have gummed up a bit from it, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to completely stall a fuel pump.

Sitting can do some odd things to electrics. I've seen solder points on relays actually crack from age.
I've also had issues with mice chewing wires (which is why I mentioned it). Hell, they chewed through my neutral switch wires, etc. a couple years ago on my CBR after just a couple months.

Just something to look at is all. But since it's at the shop, I guess none of this really matters. They'll figure it out.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah it's kinda academic now. I'm just saying the most likely cause isn't mechanical failure but varnish clogging things from sitting so long. A fuel pump dying after 900 miles and 2 years of sitting? Unlikely. Contacts corroding? Probably. Gummed fuel system? Probably - definitely.

My advice to the OP is if they state a major component needs to be replaced, question them. Really the shop shouldn't replace anything without permission and an estimate of costs

Old 09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way, you'll probably get jacked for some major labor costs now.... bummer

Old 09-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they charge $70 an hour. and i made sure they would call me when they figure out whats wrong. that way i can see how much it will cost to fix before they go ahead and do it. i just hope its not something big. like you guys said, its defiantly gunked up lines.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 PM

My advice: get the manual for your bike pronto. High chances are they're about to charge you $140-$210 for something you could have easily done yourself with 0 experience working on motorcycles.

This website and the Haynes manual for my bike has easily saved me $500+ in labor alone

Old 09-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
My advice: get the manual for your bike pronto. High chances are they're about to charge you $140-$210 for something you could have easily done yourself with 0 experience working on motorcycles.
Easily? Just because you've had your carbs out 16,000 times (yes I've been counting ) doesn't mean he has. Not everyone is OK with sticking a screwdriver into something expensive to see what happens. I STILL hate taking my carbs apart, and I've done it 4 times. Next time I need it done, I WILL take it to a dealer, just because the money is worth the time it saves.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
If it was in storage, are you sure that mice didn't chew through the wires to the fuel pump maybe?
Reminds me of a bike my buddy pulled out from winter storage that would sputter out after starting. We sprayed a crapload of starter fluid into the intakes, started it and WOT, and it blasted a whole ****ing mouse nest out the pipe, along with a crapload of corn kernels.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator - Retired

We sprayed a crapload of starter fluid into the intakes, started it and WOT, and it blasted a whole ****ing mouse nest out the pipe, along with a crapload of corn kernels.
HAHAHA!! A buddy at work did the same thing, except it was a flaming nest that flew out..
No corn kernels, though.... I feel robbed.. lol..
(he zipties plastic bottles over his pipes now in the winter)

Old 09-30-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Easily? Just because you've had your carbs out 16,000 times (yes I've been counting ) doesn't mean he has. Not everyone is OK with sticking a screwdriver into something expensive to see what happens. I STILL hate taking my carbs apart, and I've done it 4 times. Next time I need it done, I WILL take it to a dealer, just because the money is worth the time it saves.
Trust me when I say I cringe whenever I look at the gas tank, flashbacks to what's underneath. I was ecstatic yesterday when pulling the water pump meant working on a different area of the bike

Old 10-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Administrator - Retired

So have they called you yet, Evo?? DO you know what the issue was?

Quick Reply: bike sat with fuel in it for 2 years!