General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike sat with fuel in it for 2 years!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i picked up my bike today. needs a new fuel pump and gas tank due to rust /corrosion. its weird that its rusty on the inside of the tank... there is not one spot of rust on the bike, not even on the chain, i mean the bike looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. anyway i just ordered a new tank and pump. the stealership tried to get some more money outta me by saying the internals can be muffed up due to rusty gas running through the engine. but how can rusty gas go through the engine if the engine isnt getting any gas anyway...? quick question.... is a tank and fuel pump hard to install? let me get it on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the most difficult. thanks a lot for all the advice and help. i really appreciate it guys. good help is hard to find.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much was the gas tank? There's a relatively easy way to de-rust a tank, you can then use a tank sealer if there are pinholes. Of course, the dealer isn't going to tell you that.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 PM

the gas tank was 550 painted with decals on it. my old tank has a huge dent in it any way. let me know if you or anyone else wants to buy a rusty dented gas tank =D

Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rust got in the tank from the gas itself. Gasoline is still a liquid and susceptible to condensation.

Gas tank on a scale of 1-10: 0.0001. Dunno about the 01 F4I but on my bike it's unscrew 2 bolts holding the tank to the frame, disconnect to hoses going to the petcock and lift.

Fuel pump 1-10: Going by my bike, 3. Disconnecting the electrical connector was a PITA hence the 3. Remove the tank. Disconnect 2 fuel lines, one from the fuel filter to the pump. Other from the pump to the engine.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 PM

is there any soldering or splicing of wires involved or are the wires connected by screws inserted into copper rings or w.e im not to good with electronics, so this might be a job for the shop. =/

Old 10-01-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution_X
is there any satering or splicing of wires involved or are the wires connected by screws inserted into copper rings or w.e im not to good with electronics, so this might be a job for the shop. =/
Lol no worries. They're male - female plastic connectors. My bike is a 95 and the connectors prolly hadn't been disconnected since it rolled out the factory.

Have you gotten a service manual for your bike yet? You MUST get one asap (I actually recommend 2 for different views of the same thing). Identifying parts and components are much easier when there are pictures Also by reading ahead of time about what you're getting ready to do, you'll be able to say for yourself when something might be over your head.

You also have a great resource here at CBRForums. I had never taken a wrench to a motorcycle till I came here looking for help. The How-To's other members have written and the advise they've given has gotten me through many things.

edit
Where are you at in the world? You might be near another member and they might lend you a hand with some things

Last edited by Kuroshio; 10-01-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:28 PM

im in Franklinlakes NJ, if anyone wants to come by and help out that would be cool, just pm me. parts are on the way, the install seems simple enough. im just hoping there wont be any other surprises, what do you guys think?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:38 PM

If you had said AC I'd prolly woulda done it. Not ready for a 2 hr journey yet till my bike is 100%.

I know there are some guys from NJ here. Post in the regional section asking for help

Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 AM

after installing a new gas tank and fuel pump succesfully lol, the bike fired right up. it can idle for hours and it runs perfect. my only concern is that the temp on the bike goes up to 220 when idleing but goes down to 170 - 180 when riding. is this normal? also there is some smoke comming from the radiator, but that could be from me spilling some fluids on it... can it? idk why do you guys think the radiator is smoking?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:26 AM

You said the 'smoke' is coming from the radiator and that it can idle for hours? After idling for hours or riding, do you still see smoke? and are you sure it's smoke?

My thought is it could be a leak if it happens after hours of running. Any fluid you spilled will burn off the bike fairly quick. Smoke would prolly indicate an oil leak somewhere. Coolant doesn't tend to actually be smoke. More of a steam.

Quick Reply: bike sat with fuel in it for 2 years!