General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Cranks longer then usual before starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Cranks longer then usual before starting

So, I noticed when i go to start my bike, it seems to crank longer then usual before it fires up, bike runs fine, no issue's.. Example, it used to crank say 3-5 time,'s then fire up, now its like 8 plus every morning.. It does Not crank slow, and its only after its been sitting basically 4-5 plus hrs, after work tonight, it was cranking and after about 8 times i twisted the throttle and it fired up.. (not sure if that was coincidence or not)Any thoughts ??? 2006 Cbr 1000rr

Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cheapest thing, try seafoam or similar injector-cleaner. Run it for a couple of tanks and see if that clears it up. Might also pull the battery and have it tested.
If it's weak, it could cause the slow start. After it starts, then the stator takes
over the electrical power duties.

Ern

Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 AM

Starting problems- Could be so many causes.
1)Cold weather is here, mine isn't happy either. The ECU's on bikes take a bit to adjust the fuel/air mixture when the climate changes. And batteries like to loose their power as it gets colder.
2)Try cutting the fuel pump on, wait 5 sec, and repeat a few times then cut it on, let the pump prime and twist the handle after a try or two.
3)If that doesn't work check the fuel filter, and for fuel leaks, maybe drain and replace fuel.
4) If it's bogging out in lower RPM's, thats usually a sign of blocked air or exhaust
5) You could try disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU to default.
6) Does it give off any smoke while running?
7) Are there any unusual sounds that it's making?

The fuel injector cleaner is a good starter.
Check the spark plugs for carbon and other deposits or damage. Iridium FTW
I had to be detailed! Ride safe and keep us updated.

Last edited by jacksla3; 10-05-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by jacksla3
Starting problems- Could be so many causes.
1)Cold weather is here, mine isn't happy either. The ECU's on bikes take a bit to adjust the fuel/air mixture when the climate changes. And batteries like to loose their power as it gets colder.
2)Try cutting the fuel pump on, wait 5 sec, and repeat a few times then cut it on, let the pump prime and twist the handle after a try or two.
3)If that doesn't work check the fuel filter, and for fuel leaks, maybe drain and replace fuel.
4) If it's bogging out in lower RPM's, thats usually a sign of blocked air or exhaust
5) You could try disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU to default.
6) Does it give off any smoke while running?
7) Are there any unusual sounds that it's making?

The fuel injector cleaner is a good starter.
Check the spark plugs for carbon and other deposits or damage. Iridium FTW
I had to be detailed! Ride safe and keep us updated.
The bike runs Great, no bog, miss, nothing, its only when its cold(sits more then 4hrs) I hear the fuel pump kick on, I wait a few seconds, hit the starter button and it just cranks like 8-10 time's before fires up, if i blip the throttle she fires right up.. If i shut it off and start it up again, she fires up by 3rd crank on her own.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:38 PM

I may be incorrect, but what it sounds like to me is a fuel pressure bleed. I would start by checking your fuel pressure regulator. After sitting for a couple of hours the regulator is bleeding pressure off, causing the extended starting. After she's running and you shut it off and fire it right back up, it hasn't had the time to leak back down. Just a thought, but it sounds like it fits in my mind

Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks, i will check that.. its odd cause it goes days with no problems, then all a sudden it happens... Its really sparatic