General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any mechanical engineers to explain springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any mechanical engineers to explain springs?

Ok, I'm trying to understand something about suspension dealing with spring weight. The technical term is Spring Rate. And is generally used to describe how much a spring will compress under specific force.

Here's the question: does the Spring Rate also mean how quickly the spring will compress under a specific force? For example the stock springs in the s1000rr are designed for a rider around 185lb. So that will determine the top / bottom out range. But when he goes over a bump, does this also affect how quickly the suspension will react based on the compression / rebound damping settings? Or is that completely determined by those settings and fork oil viscviscosity?

The reason i'm asking is a lot of ppl say if you can set sag, you're good to go. What I'm experiencing is a very stiff ride. And now the reviews of the new active electronic suspension are saying the system is slow to react. Granted, the ppl noting this are doing Expert level races. But few have replaced the springs for ones appropriate for their weight

Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thunking the answer to your very complex question may have something to do with

Old 02-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an ME!

F= KX (Hookes Law), where F = force, K = spring constant, and X = distance traveled.

So, depending on the force, the spring will move a different X. Which you probably already knew. I don't know all that much about automotive springs, but I would assume that the entire assembly has its own K constant. So, by adjusting the settings on the other parts of the system you should be able to get a similar, if not equal K. However, this doesn't mean it works exactly the same...because if you have a spring with a certain K constant, it isn't really going to be adjustable. All the other settings are going to do is loosen up to get a closer to the intended results. The only real way to get the system correctly adjusted to you is to purchase a new spring that is built for your weight class, the other parts of the system are sort of a...fine tune. They aren't meant to be able to cover the entire range, just pick up the excess, so it's like you're trying to shoot a target a mile away with a sniper rifle without a scope. Sure the bullet can go that far...it can in theory do what you want it to, but the reality is that without the scope, the rifle is no good to you.

I think. Then again...I'm just starting out as an ME so you may want somebody elses opinion.