General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 CBR 600 f4- starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Track junkie & modaholic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks deano, the one that I found states its for a F4 and I knew about doing a total loss system but it seems that there is little info on the hrc alts for the F4. When I move down to SoCal I hope I can make this dedicated track bike and start racing it if I can find time.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:14 AM

I ordered a vortex sprocket and chain kit and just went with the stock set up 16T front 45T rear and a 525 chain I may consider doing the conversion later though. The bike is in fairly good shape but needs some tlc! I installed a hid kit today which was not fun! Should have been easy but was a total nightmare! The spring/bracket that holds the bulb in place was messed up by the previous owner or owners so we had some trouble with that and the his bulb was bigger than the original Chubb making it difficult to get the rubber boot back on. Eventually we got it done but ran into some other issues! The fuel line in between the petcock and the fuel pump got a Hole in it and we had to make a temporary hose which took a couple tetra because we had difficulty making the thicker hose work without pinching it. Then while checking the air pressure in the tires the rear valve stem broke! It wad dry rotted luckily it happened in the garage and not on the road but created another challenge luckily we had a replacement valve stem. Breaking the bead on the tire was a workout with only a hammer, a tire spoon, and a prybar! Did manage to also change the oil, filter, and spark plugs! Needless to say it was a long day but the bike is running and riding much better! I think one more day of some fresh parts and some fine running and she will be ready to take for a nice long ride!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Have you flushed the coolant yet? If not it will help keep you bike nice and cool. I recommend going to the store and buying around 5 gal. of distilled water and running that through until its clear and than filling it up with fresh coolant. And to keep the bike happy and fresh change it once a year or every 6 months for water wetter and engine ice. I'm glad to hear that the bike is up and running and your gonna be taking care of it; so many people neglect their bikes and this stuff happens. Have you thought about switching to all metal valve stems? No dry rot to worry about and they are angled to make fill-ups easier.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:48 AM

Been a while since I checked back on this! My bike its in the shop hopefully be done today! The clutch went out and had a bent shift fork! Was pooping out of second gear at about 5k to 6k RPMs. So I had the clutch replaced and a new transmission put in the bike! Also had them do a stage 1jet kit! Been looking into doing a full exhaust swap but can't find any for the f4 got any suggestions?

Old 04-25-2014, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friends firestorm blew up his new battery at the weekend ; the reg/rec broke down allowing the battery to boil dry and eventually blew a hole in the side of it ,now hes got to replace the reg/rec and put another new battery on it

Old 01-14-2018, 10:00 PM

i bought a 99 cbr 600 f4 it didnt have fairings ,seat was all torn , rims different colors looked like yunk but ive always wanted one , now that i have it looking great n painted it wont start up i took off carbs and cleaned them good checked spark plugs , it cranks for a bit then drains battery and its new any ideas on wat i can do now

Old 01-15-2018, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should start your very own thread rather than tacking on to one that's four years old. I'm sure help will arrive.