General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

900RR weld cracks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 900RR weld cracks?

1st post so be gentle!

I just picked up a 93 900RR frame to build and had a few questions. I gave it a pretty quick inspection when it arrived and it looked straight, no major tweeking or dents, just a few scrapes. Problem is, I was scuffing it up to get it ready for the powdercoater when I found a crack in the weld on the bottom crossbar that the shock arm mounts to. Not all the way around, just an inch give or take. There is also a crack on the weld on the top motor mount. Granted, these are hairline cracks, but I'm curious if this is a normal thing. Bad welds or stress? Its on of those bill-of-sale type frames where in Ohio I have to build it all the way till its street legal for an inspection to get a new title. I don't want to dump all the money into it and have it split in two. I have no problem taking it to a weld shop and having the cracks filled or fusion welded since its a bare frame. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Default RE: 900RR weld cracks?

not sure what the frame is made out of but if its not aluminum, weld it. if it is aluminum, weld it, just make sure that the welder knows what he is doing. a quality weld should strenthen any part.

if you were in so cal i would help you but my advice is to call around. There is probably welders that have been at it forever. those are the guys you want to talk to. welding is an art.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:08 AM

I'm actually in Akron Ohio. That means I have 4ths of nasty weather to build a toy! I took it to the Honda dealer this morning to get an idea if its a production screw up and they told me it was from abuse (stunting, wheelies, etc) and not from Honda. They were reluctant to say they could weld it but quick with a $200 price tag. I stopped by the welders that we use from work and he said $50 and its good as new, if not better.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:59 PM

Sounds like a good plan. I was going to mention that maybe you should drill a small...small (3/32-1/8) hole at the end of the crack prior to welding it be sure of putting an end to the crack. Maybe overkill but it couldn't hurt.

P.S. [sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 12-05-2007, 12:55 AM

I think you said you fixed it already, or are about to, which is great news. Bikes and bike frames deserve to live good lives that are free of abuse and crack.

BTW, it's aluminum, which as I understand, takes a bit more skill to weld correctly. But I'm no expert.

It would be great if you take some pics of this project from start to finish and post them up. How about it!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM

Its just a frame as of now. I haven't got it welded up but it'll happen by next week. I have a swingarm, shock, trees, and maybe forks coming this week. Theres a few scuff, dings, and scratches on it but it gives it personality. I'm hopefully going with a 929 engine and 954 forks. I already bought the 954 tripples...

I'm a old bike project kinda guy. My last was a 91 ZX-7RR K-model. Bought it as a basketcase, put a 770cc JE piston'd engine in, painted, polished, and then sold it a month after it was done. I'm a tool! Especially since there were only 500+/- imported in 91. Heres a few pics of the Z to give you an idea:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2585275/1

I put a J-model tail on since the K was only a solo bike. If not the wife would bitch. Bought it in Feb. and it was running by July. Its great that she let me build it in the living room, paint it in the basement, and park it in the sun porch!