General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 F4i winter build?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F4i winter build?

this thread is about building up my bikes performance over winter. read on if you can help

i bought my bike with 11k miles on it this summer in june ( 2001 F4i ) the guy before me layed it over in a parking lot 2 times claiming at speeds no more than 15mph. the stator case had scratches and levers, pegs, ect. with about 2 weeks i had all the fairings sanded and painted black along with cleaning the chain, swing arm, motor, and anything else i could get at. the bike was looking ALOT better then when i bought it. unfortunately I also layed it down towards the middle of summer. riding in my driveway trying to get the hang of low speed maneuvers and put it on the right side 10mph ( this is my first bike, so i am a beginner ). i broke the right rear set peg and damged my fairings again and it looks like ****.

anyway the season is pretty much over here in MI and its getting to cold to ride and im taking the insurance off sense all im doing is working on it anyway. so when summer comes i want my bike to be back to its best shape. i want to REPLACE all vital parts and components of the bike and maintenance everything that needs it. so the question really is all of you who are up to par on bike maintenance i would like to know what is necessary to replace and what is necessary to take care of?

i already know i need new forks because i worked on the seals and they were bent pretty good. i also know i need a cam chain tensioner because i have a rattle that was described as a cam chain.

im going to get a new chain and sprocket kit, lefers, brakes and calipers, exhaust and a bunch of other small cosmetic parts.

anyone have any pictures of aftermarket parts you have on your bike or any suggestens on good parts im looking for or other parts i may have left out that would be a good upgrade?

thanks

Old 10-23-2009, 05:50 AM

IF you're getting a new front end, get a 929/954 front end, or F4i fork tubes if your triples aren't bent and they're a good price...

APE manual CCT

-1+2 steel sprocket kit, stock brake pads and calipers and levers

You should also look at getting 905 race armor and woodcraft stator and clutch covers like this (636 but you get the idea)
Name:  IMG_0199.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  71.7 KB

Old 10-23-2009, 11:47 AM

thanks,

i was really thinking about a cage of some sort but didint want my bike to look like a metal basket. i like that really clean solid look you have there, i will look into that.

is the 929/954 front end stronger then the F4i, or cheaper? i think im taking it wrong. i dont know about my fork tubes but i know damn well the forks them selves are bent pretty good. i also have a good rattle under my top triple when i get on the front brake hard. would that be the sound of bad triple clams or is that more rotors and brakes? either way i want to pretty much replace most of the front so in my head i know everything is cleaned up and working well.
as far as the sprocket, i dont do alot of highway riding but i will get on it here and there to get out somewhere further. -1+2 from what i hear is horrible for speeds over like 75. i love low speed power but i also like to be able to get it on the highway and put it to a quick 90 on the ramp before i blend with traffic. would i sacrifice that a good amount?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:41 PM

I forgot to mention, as a beginer i havent really astablished a certain riding style yet but as of right now im really gaining a love for corners and smooth handling. at the same time i like to pop it up once in a while, not serious into stunting but i do ride it somewhat hard sometimes so as far as parts and components im looking for something in the middle. somewhat beefy but also good for smooth quality riding. also looking for a new set of tires, mine have a good amount of tread left but im thinking of trying something with a little more serious. im assuming these are the original F4i tires on the bike.

Last edited by super600; 10-23-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: none