General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 CBR600RR Cranks But Doesn't Fire

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 CBR600RR Cranks But Doesn't Fire

Alright guys, i have a 2006 CBR600RR project bike that i've been trying to get going as it was a dude when i got it. So far i've been able to get the bike to turn over but it doesn't fire up. When the ignition (ignition was replaced with one off of ebay) is turned to the on position all lights operate just fine but the fuel pump does not prime. I run 12V directly to the pump and it primed just fine which tells me it's not the pump.

BAS has been bypassed
Kickstand switch has been bypassed
Neutral Safety switch tested good
No blown fuses

I'm stomped on what it could be as i've tried many things to get the bike to fire up to no avail. Any suggestions

Ignition harness (I found it weird that the switch connector has 4 wires where as the bike harness only has 2. Is that correct)

Old 06-24-2019, 09:25 AM

One thing that I have done as a trouble shooting tool is to shoot a very small burst of engine starter fluid into the air intake. Be VERY careful not to over due it. This stuff is powerful and can really cause an engine to rev so it really has to be a tiny burst of spray. If it fires over, then you know you have spark and the engine is good to go (could use a spark tool to see if you are getting spark). Need 3 things for an engine to start, Fuel/Spark/Air. If you can eliminate 2 of the 3 as issues, then you can trouble shoot the one missing.

May have a clue that the fuel pump will prime when you jump it direct to 12v but not when ignition comes on.... may want to track that down as a likely culprit. Wiring diagram should help you there to trace the fuel pump system... .could be fuel pump relay if your bike has one.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:47 PM

Alright i replaced the Sub Harness, Main Harness, and Kill switch

Now fuel pump primes with no issues, starts up then immediately shuts off. The only way to keep it running is to give it a little throttle.

Another issue now is when i hit the run switch on the bike it turns the bike on as if the key was in the ignition.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:20 PM

Did the bike sit for a while? Have to remind me, is the 06 FI or carbureted? Have run into that problem on carbureted bikes that sat for a while. The idle circuit in the carbs gets all gummed up and the only way to keep the bike running is to move it from idle circuit to higher RPM's.

If that is the case you may need a thorough cleaning of the carbs along with a proper synch of the carbs. I have had them so badly gummed that have actually had to pull the jets and do a deep clean (ultrasonic).

If FI, then it probably needs some adjustments on the fuel circuit. I don't have the manual handy but you should find the steps to adjust the fuel system correctly in the manual.