CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Fuel pump not coming on --> No start !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel pump not coming on --> No start !!!

Hi.
I can`t start my honda. When turning key on the fuel pump are not making that sound what it should do. So motor crank nicely but it don`t start.

Last week this started. Fuel pump didn`t turn on when I did come out of the store. Then I turned power off-on-off-on and then I heard fuel pump sound and it start.
After I get back home I looked is the fuel pump coming on. Turn key on position and fuel pump didn`t respond. I clicked engine stop button on-off-on-off and then I heard the fuel pump sound.
Put power again off and on, fuel pump didn`t turned on. After that the fuel pump have not coming on at all !!!

Try to start engine stop button in off positon, bike do nothing. Putting engine stop switch on position, then it crank but not starting so there is nothing wrong in that switch ?

I have read a lot writing that have same issue but not sure what to do.
I have take fuel pump out of a tank and everything was like it should. Everything was clean but I did unpack that and put eveyrhing back together.
Can I test the fuel pump putting 12V positive and negative to some cable, so I know is the fuel pump broken or not ?

I looked fuel cut off relay and tried to move connector but no effect (that relay is front of a battery, next to ECU ?).
Some have same issue but their light didn`t work and someone did found a problem somewhere in the right side wiring harness.
Mine lights work good and everything is like it should but the fuel pump are not making that sound so it don`t start.

Nothing wrong with the HISS because HISS red light does turn off when putting power on ?

This is making me nuts !!! Somebody have precisely same issue or is here a GOD to help me ?

Not sure can you guys see these pictures put here few pictures where you can see something what I have do.
säätöä - samba2.kuvat.fi

Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you regularly use the engine stop switch on the handlebar? I never use it and only use the key switch because using the switch often can lead to problems inside the kill switch. Most likely you have a loose connection inside the right handlebar switch which enables the fuel pump. Take apart the kill switch and check all the wires and connections and see if it fixes your problem.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by backdoc
Do you regularly use the engine stop switch on the handlebar? I never use it and only use the key switch because using the switch often can lead to problems inside the kill switch. Most likely you have a loose connection inside the right handlebar switch which enables the fuel pump. Take apart the kill switch and check all the wires and connections and see if it fixes your problem.
No I never use that switch ! I just tried is the problem in that switch or some where else.
I don`t think that the switch is broken because it do crank when killer switch is on and not doing anything when it is in off position.
But I will check that and hope you are right because I´m coming crazy !!!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

it's good that it does it regularly. you can check the switch first, its easy to do. if thats not it, then lift the tank enough to access the fuel pump connector. hook a test light or voltmeter up and cycle the key and switch until it acts up. if it looses power, then you know it's an electrical issue. if there is power, and the pump doesn't run, the pump is bad. i've even gone as far to slap the side of the tank with the palm of my hand when the pump should be running, if it starts running, pump is bad. it's a mechanics's trick, so do at your own discretion.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
it's good that it does it regularly. you can check the switch first, its easy to do. if thats not it, then lift the tank enough to access the fuel pump connector. hook a test light or voltmeter up and cycle the key and switch until it acts up. if it looses power, then you know it's an electrical issue. if there is power, and the pump doesn't run, the pump is bad. i've even gone as far to slap the side of the tank with the palm of my hand when the pump should be running, if it starts running, pump is bad. it's a mechanics's trick, so do at your own discretion.
I´m not sure what I did, but those three relays which are under the rear cowl (right side). There is very tight space because rear cowl is so irritating to take off so it`s in the position.
But I moved those relays connectors and put ignition ON. Then I heared that awesome sound, fuel pump come on !!!

I tried to start that but battery was finish so I have to buy battery charger and try again tomorrow.
I did put some CRC those relays connectors and hopefully that was the problem ! Will see what happens.

If bike start tomorrow I can look my real problem what I was looking after all.
First summer with this bike and this problem has been all the time.
It`s not running as smothly at the low rounds but after it reach 3000 rounds it work like it should.
So when i`m trying to drive in the downtown it`s very irritating because there is that fidget.
Maybe pressure regulator is not working like it should or there is some rubbish in the fuel channels.

I will order that regulator and also spark plugs.
Do you guys know what else might be wrong ?

Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Hi again.
Today bike did start like it should.
Well, I did drive to work and after I was leaving at home the fuel pump didn`t come on.
Back seat up and I tried to move those 3 relays but no effect.
I push the engine stop switch off and on and then the pump did come on and bike started.

Now I have opened that switch and looked there but everything is like it should. No burn wire or nothing. I putted some CRC there and put everything back together. Now fuel pump do come on every time, so I hope that problem is done now. Will see what it says tomorrow