General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 F4i Nightmare... Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you... Got fingers crossed...

Update from mechanic... All sensors and relays checked out fine as well as my ECU... Swapped the ECU with known working and same issues... I have removed the BAS completely and jumped... Fuel pump primes when its jumped and runs when hooked directly to battery... We have the wiring and electrical traced back to the after market ignition.... This may not be the issue because the bike ran after ignition was installed..

He explained it to me that the F4i has a very unique anti theft wire in the ignition and if it senses anything out of place it will fry... If this is the case I will be spending another 100$+ for a new OEM ignition...

Brighter note to the thread here is an image of the new tire and brakes

Old 02-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Munson
I've had good experience buying bikes on craigslist, but only ones I can inspect and ride personally.

You need to ask your brother WTF he was looking at. Anyway, I'm happy to hear you're on your way to getting this resolved.
Appreciate the support guys... I'm not exactly a very happy person lately

Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM

****ty deal man! My brother is a very mechanically inclined fellow, I trust him when it comes to either helping me fix an issue or, diagnosing a problem with all of my vehicles but, when it comes to buying a vehicle that is definitely something you have to do yourself in person.

Not to give you a hard time dude but, I imagine you could've avoided this headache had you looked at the bike yourself..the snapped off key in the ignition and drill holes in the tank would've been a dead give away.

As for doing a VIN check, did you use CarFAX or some other third party company? Those are known to be faulty and, the best course of action is from the insurance company, either way that aspect is also pretty brutal.

Such is life though eh, mistakes happen and give us knowledge in trade. Once you get the bike sorted out at least you'll be familiar with the machine and, have peace of mind that it's up to par. I had some concerns and worries when I picked up my F4i last month when I did a trade for my old bike..doing private deals is always a gamble.

Best of luck getting every thing smoothed out, sounds like you've got a sweet mechanic. Keep us updated man, photos too!

Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 PM

My brother picked up and checked the bike out for me was because the guy lived 6 hours away from where im currently at... Was a 15 min drive from my brother... I searched CL for months at current location and was unable to find anything at a reasonable price...

Granted I live in Santa Barbra where EVERYTHING is stupidly overpriced... Checked out listings where I had someone able to pick it up for me... Riverside CA has a lot more bike listings due to being in the desert...

Did a VIN check through AAA, Paid for 1 online and used CarFax... Everything came up clean so I thought it was good lol... If I had seen the bike in person It would have been completely different and No I wouldn't be having this headache

Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the solution to this is that your brother should buy you a new bike.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:30 PM

I got it!!! New OEM ignition installed today and my baby girl is running better then ever!! Boss was pissed because I took a 2 hour lunch to put her back together... Road outa the shop today with ear to ear grin so ecstatic!!! Cant wait for work to end and get back on her

Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 AM

Sorry to hear about all the unfortunates..

I just purchased an 02 F4i myself and still working out all the kinks.. luckily no payments or tickets on the bike.

Good luck with everything!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 AM

Thank you, Shes up and running perfect now... About a month in the shop a month riding and I put it back in the shop for full service on the front end... Now Im in need of a new clutch and CCT... Once thats done I can focus on mods