F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Which windscreen helps with wind?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which windscreen helps with wind?

ORIGINAL: Daffy472

Does anyone know some good online shopthat sells hundreds of them cheap? Our local store sells them for $1.2 per pair which is kind of expensive for disposable ones...
I bought another box this weekend from Lowe's. Half orange/half purple all disposable. 80 sets for $15. Those should last you awhile.

And I find I hear my exhaust just find with my earplugs. At highway I hear it cruising with earplugs and without I just hear wind.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which windscreen helps with wind?

ORIGINAL: ZZRrocket

ORIGINAL: Kewl Breeze

ORIGINAL: Daffy472

Is there any windscreens that actually help with wind noise and/or aerodynamics? With stock one even if I lie on the tank and keep my head as low as possible, I still feel pretty strong wind pressure on my helmet and wind noise is still pretty high. I wonder if any aftermarket windscreen could help.
Most after market screens "help" but are really only designed to help with aerodynamic over your head in the tuck position and around you but not much help otherwise or a "huge" difference from stock unless you ride track. The ZGDB does raise the wind slightly higher than stock. There are a couple that I've seen that are more geared towards touring if that's what you're going for (I've never seen one in person or have any personal experience with it though):

1) VARIO
2) VARIO2

here's one dudes review on it from sportsbike.net:

Difference in windscreens. I would have to say that the stock windscreen would be my last choice. The Zero Gravity Double Bubble Windscreen was a great improvment over stock. But MRA has the cat in the bag when it comes to a windscreen that can be adjusted to the rider. Over the winter I was searching the internet for a better solution for a windscreen for my ZZR. I had remembered that a good friend of mine had a MRA Vario Touring Screen on his ZZR1200. So I started searching MRA's website. I decided to use my marketing skills and contacted the production manager of MRA in Germany. They make some very nice windscreens for all types of motorcycles. I convinced them to produce for me a one off VARIO TOURING SCREEN. For those of you who are wondering what is a Vario Touring Screen? It consists of MRA's Touring screen in dark smoke of course with an adjustable spoiler attached. The VarioTouringScreen features a 7-position adjustable spoiler at the top of a TouringScreen-shaped windshield. The adjustable spoiler can be used to redirect airflow to suit the rider. MRA does not currently produce one that will fit a 1998-2002 ZX6R aka 2005-2006 ZZR600. I ordered the windscreen in December of 2005 and received it at the end of February. The windscreen had a production date of February 10, 2006 at MRA in Germany. The MRA Vario Touring Screen makes riding long distances much more enjoyable because you can adjust the spoiler to redirect air flow so it's takes pressure off of your helmet thus taking pressure off of your neck, which makes for much more enjoyable riding and less fatigue on your neck muscles. This one is a goody, especially since I have the first one ever to fit a 2006 ZZR600 in the entire world.

and another similiar product:
3) Saeng

Hello my name is Jay I'm the moderator for the Kawasaki forum on sportbikes.net and the person responsible for the production of the MRA Vario Touring Screen that MRA currently produces to fit the 2005-2008 Kawasaki ZZR600 aka 1998-2002 ZX6R "J" model. It's weird how you run across things on the internet. I was using google to search another type of windscreen and read my review of the MRA Vario Touring Screen here on the CBR forum. If someone here is still looking for a windscreen solution please feel free to ask. I would be more than happy to offer my help. Jay

Hello & Welcome Jay. It's ironic you posted this today as I've been emailing back and forth with the MRA Vario distributor: Twisted Throttle.com. At the time I posted the above I personally had no real need for any more wind protection than my Zero Gravity Double Bubble already offers but with a 5000 mile trip coming up soon I decided I want to sit more upright and therefore need more wind protection. That's when my real problems started. I debated buying a VFR as a second bike but in the end decided to plunk down $700 (includes install) for the convertibars which raises the bar up and quickly adjusts back down for more aggressive riding. I thought that would be the difficult part and ordering a windshield for the upright position would be the easy part. Wrong! After going back and forth with the MRA distributor they found that none of their models fit over the ZG DB due to the extreme curve. They said it would fit over the stock shield (whi.ch I still have) but he said it's not much more protection than the ZG DB. I tried Saeng and Laminar and those wouldn't fit either. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

However, during the search I did find the "Laminar Lip" to be an interesting alternative solution if I go back to the stock shield: (but the MRA Vario would be my first choice if I could get one that fits)

http://laminarlip.com/cbr954rr.php

Old 05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any pix u can send me , I am interested in taller screen. What brand
Thanks