F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

2nd gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gear issues

I have an extremely hard time shifting from 1st to 2nd gear when my bike is up to temp... When I first start the bike and it is cool and warming up, the issue does not exist.

When I am having this problem, I will go to put it into 2nd and it will only go into neutral and I have to try over and over until it finally works. What could this be? My buddy was thinking the shift fork and then I just told him about how it worked when it was cool. If it is the shift fork, can it be replaced if we take the oil pan off?

Old 05-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

I am having the same problem with my 02 f4i. I have to slow down to 25 before i can upshift into second or come to a complete stop and downshift and then upshift. Any answers would be nice.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:15 AM

The issue seems to be getting better with the 2nd gear. I did an oil change and for some reason the issue is not as bad. It still happens from time to time, but not nearly as bad as before...

Old 05-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although blipping the throttle is primarily used for down shifting, I have found it useful in smoothing out upshifts as well. Initially I had issues upshifting and felt that the gearbox felt very clunky. Over time I've discovered that modulating the throttle has improved shifting on this bike. On occassion, I will miss the 1st to 2nd shift, ending up in neutral. Oddly, I find shifting from 1st to 2nd easier at higher RPM, vs. lower ones.
Another thing to consider may be to lower the shift pedal a bit (it is adjustable), so that your foot makes better contact with it. Also, make sure you are fully engaging the clutch before shifting.
I'll totally agree with the oil change; it feels so nice when it's fresh

Last edited by Incognito; 05-11-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

I have adjusted and oil changed but have the most problems after 7 rpm between 1 and 2 gear. Once it gets into N i won't go back into either 1st or 2nd.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by drunkinmist
I have adjusted and oil changed but have the most problems after 7 rpm between 1 and 2 gear. Once it gets into N i won't go back into either 1st or 2nd.
I had the same problem but making sure the clutch is pulled all the way in and shifting all the way down/up helped a lot. My tacoma does the same thing. After about 3500 rpm/20+ miles i cant shift it back into first gear. If i try itll makes that grinding sound/feeling.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Worn shift forks and you have to pull the trans apart to replace.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:51 PM

So the issue has gone away. I adjusted the shifter to have more travel upwards when shifting and it shifts great. I'm guess they previous owner messed with it too much, the lever was hitting the metal piece that the peg is mounted too. I now have an excellent running F4i

Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hockey guy
So the issue has gone away. I adjusted the shifter to have more travel upwards when shifting and it shifts great. I'm guess they previous owner messed with it too much, the lever was hitting the metal piece that the peg is mounted too. I now have an excellent running F4i
Glad to hear that you got it fixed/working better. Could you post some directions for what you did. I am sure that someone else will have a similar issue and this can be very helpful to them. I have a similar issue and will see if this fixes my problem too.

Thanks.

P.s.

If you can add a picture too, that would be great, but no biggie if you can't.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:01 PM

+1 !!!

Quick Reply: 2nd gear issues