F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tune Ups

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Ups

My buddy and I both have F4is that we got half way through last season, we both owned other bikes previously but had to take a season or two off during some tough financial times.

So now that we are getting them out for the year we both are due for some major tune ups. We did an oild change but still want to do air filters, plugs, coolant & brake fluid. He is also having some idle problems on occasion and the FI light coming on, some suggestions I have heard is a fuel pressure regulator.

So I am doing as much reading of threads as I can, but haven't found questions to all my answers, sorry if I am reposting for some of this.

I need some suggestions on what to get, should we just buy all honda at a dealer? I have read some people suggesting Engine Ice coolant, also any benefits to specific air filters? I think brake fluid DOT4 should be fine, and any tips on the FI light?

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 AM

if you put a jumper wire into the diagnostic plug, you should be able to read the code the FI light is throwing out. the Diagnostic plug is the two wire harness between the two harnesses on the ECU.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM

I've been told for air filters it doesn't really make a difference what you pick. That being said, I choose K&N, just because it will be reusable.

I've heard good things about engine ice. A lot of people use the Honda brand coolant. Just make sure its safe for aluminum engines and you should be ok.

Get NGK Iridium plugs, should be $45 for a set.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I use all oem parts on my f4i [except for chain, tires, exhaust, grips and fork internals] and Im at 47,000 miles with no problems at all. But to be honest, things like oil, coolant and spark plugs don't really matter what brand you buy as long as its quality stuff. If its a street bike I'd stay with normal green coolant myself. If your low on a trip and need to top off you won't be finding engine ice on the side of the road.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 AM

+1 on what Xander said, short out that black connecter next to your ECU and it should start flashing a code and then check it against the service manual. It should tell you right away what the prob is.

From my experiences with the pressure regulator (i just had to change it myself), there isnt an FI code for it failing. The symptoms though are hard to start, rough idling, fouled plugs, and when you give it the shot of gas, it sometimes won't recover as the RPMs drop and will stall.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:22 AM

Cool, thanks good info guys I appreciate it.

I will check out those suggestions on parts and see what we can sort out with the FI light. I know he has intermittent problems with it, and he says when it does come on he goes through gas like crazy.