F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Tires in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires in cold weather?

How exactly are tires affected in the colder weather? I rode today when it was about 55 degrees outside...and i felt my tires slip for a moment and that it just wasnt gripping that well overall...I know that i have to give some time for the tires to warm up to stick better? How long does that usually take? Is it possible that my tires are not good? I just bought my bike a month ago and the tires look a little bit worn, but not too bad. I'm thinking about putting new tires on it anyway though...does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinkin the pilot powers??

Old 10-25-2007, 05:23 AM
Default RE: Tires in cold weather?

ORIGINAL: TD600

How exactly are tires affected in the colder weather? I rode today when it was about 55 degrees outside...and i felt my tires slip for a moment and that it just wasnt gripping that well overall...I know that i have to give some time for the tires to warm up to stick better? How long does that usually take? Is it possible that my tires are not good? I just bought my bike a month ago and the tires look a little bit worn, but not too bad. I'm thinking about putting new tires on it anyway though...does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinkin the pilot powers??
the first thing i would look at is the tire tread to see if the tire is starting to go bald. it usually doesn't take that long to warm up the tires, most likely a consistent 10 minute ride should do it. but i know the tires that the f4i has (dunlop sportmax) isn't as great of a tire than others. i would definitely have to say go w/ the michelin pilot powers (regular or 2ct) or for the price you can't go wrong w/ bridgestone battleax's bt014.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 AM

The air in your tiresexpands as it warms. This is true no matter what the outside temps are. Check your pressure hot and cold as the temps drop this fall. Look for about a 10% gain in pressure form cold to hot after a run of 10 minutes or so.

Making a sighting pass through the stretch of the twisties your getting ready to shread is always prudent. In fact, make a few increasing your pace each pass before your at full-goose-bozo. Then check for that 10% gain. Tires should be as good as they are gonna be by then. Add or bleed to achieve that 10%.

A bicycle stick pump is easy to carry along on a ride. It doesnt take that many pumps to change the pressure a few psi's.

Powers are good and warm up faster than Dunlop Q's (possibly the slowest to get to grips). Q's are fantastic once warm though. Ive used up 6 sets of PP's thus far. Always looking though.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 AM

Street tires are generally very good about not require a lot of heat to work. The more "sporty" tires you have, most likely, the more heat they need to work well but even street tires do need to be warmed up a bit. When its cold, there is the issue of maintaining heat in the tires throughout the ride. When going in a straight line, expecially when accelerating, there is very little friction being used in the front tire which combined with being right out front and in the air will allow it to cool down so I wouldn't suggest trying to drag a knee in the first corner you come to after that. Braking will put a lot of the heat back in it but on the street you probably wouldn't be doing any crazy braking so it probably won't get back up to temp. The important thing is that your aware of this kinda stuff, you've got to remember that heat is what makes tires stick and cold weather makes tires getting and staying hot more difficult.
55 isn't too bad though, a quick warm-up should be enough to get them up to temp, just watch out when your riding in 30 degree weather, thats some tricky crap to try to go fast in those conditions.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:13 AM

coool thanks for the help guys =)