Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold weather

I plan on using my bike for my commute as much as possible, but the problem is that my commute is 48 miles (one way) and it's like 58 degrees in the morning and 75 in the afternoon. It takes me about 4 hours to let my legs thaw out in the morning. In addition it's cold out so something with reflective material would be good.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the colder months?
I wear jeans and t-shirts everyday for work. So, preferable something I can wear over this since I really don't have the ability to change.

I currently have a: [ul][*]HJC helmet (cheaper model that fogs up all the time)[*]Joe Rocket textile jacket[*]cheap Joe Rocket gloves[*]Jeans[*]Leather Boots[/ul]

Old 10-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold weather

I live in the mountains so sometimes late in the fall or early spring I come home at night and its down it the 40's, once I had to ride home when it was 38 degrees. I have a joe rocket nova textile jacket, and i usually wear a hoodie underneath that. I wear jeans, but nothing else for my legs, if you keep em close to the bike the engine should keep em warm, wear an extra pair of socks, you can always store them in the trunk in the afternoon. Get some leather gloves, they do a lot better than the cloth-like material gloves. Usually during these commutes takes around 35-40mins with 28 miles of riding, thats how curvy it is, keeps you moving around on the bike which helps the blood to circulate. If all else fails, grit your teeth and dont think about it being cold.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:14 PM

Dress in layers and get some different gloves. My icon barrier jeans do a great job of keeping cold out but do get hot sometimes. I'd recommend having a cargo net and putting a backpack under neath it on the tail so you can bring some extra stuff or carry it home. Best thing for reflectivity is a vest. I believe Icon makes a couple and you should be able to find some somewhere local. Your boots should be fine. I will be purchasing a snow mobile full face stocking hat with neck to keep that brisk air from really bothering my face/neck. My HJC fogs up too, but I usually just crack it a little bit so it doesn't. I usually put a fleece underneath my perforated leather jacket and it keeps my core/arms warm. When it gets warmer, I toss it in the backpack and go on about my merry way.

You don't have a bathroom at work to change in?

Old 10-03-2007, 03:04 PM

I'veknown people with those 1-piece suits that goes over your regular clothes. I'm not 100% sure but I believe they protect you from wind, rain, and cold. They didn't look to thick but as long as they are windproof make a world of difference. I'm sure you'll have a bag of some sort to store your suit in.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:48 PM

a leather jacket is 100% warmer... You have to deal with rain, but if you got leather and then a rain jacket, you would have no problems.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:51 PM

I have a pair of Draggin jeans. They are 13ounce denim and not bad. Or try a pair of rain pants over yourjeansfor cheap. They usually let in very little wind so should be warm but may get sweaty.
What about a pair of lined calf skin work gloves (Driver gloves for cowboy type folk) to keep your hands warm.
I have a Tour master Saber jacket with a liner. Goodheavier weight 3/4 length textileinexpensive jacket with aremoveable liner plus vents for when its warm.
But noticed I need a balaclava or neck warmer for those cold morning rides as my neck and face will get cold.
A vest is good for reflectivity or a back pack with a change of clothes in it for cold weather.