F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Suggestions on new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggestions for best pricing on the Pilot Powers? Been a while since I changed the tires, forgot how spendy those SOB's are.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Exitwounds
What specifically do they give you better feedback doing? Something that annoyed me with my current tires is lack of response when I try and shift weight quickly and coming back up right in a low, fast corner exit.

Try keeping an eye on your entrance speed and RPMs. it's harder to power out of one turn into the next on a 600. I like the corsa IIIs because i feel like i have a lot more control over what the bike is doing. I definitely improved my lower-speed flickability with this tire. by feedback i ment a good sense of what the tire is gonna do and if i can push it harder when your'e approaching it's traction limits. the PPs don't really give much until you've already hit that point and it's too late. i could graph it easier than explain but that's because i'm a math nerd. I'm sure you could get a better feel for them though if that's all you ran. I mainly just like the corsa IIIs though because of the neutral profile.

oh yea. no matter what tire you choose make sure you can install them first. a lot of shops wont do it if you bought the tire somewhere else.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:07 PM

The PP 2CT is an outstanding street tire, only issue I had with it was the feedback when I was in very hard fast corners. If you plan on ever hitting the track with them make sure you have no wear on them, they wear fast on the sides and start to slip bad. But new they stick fantastic. I'm on the Pirelli supercorsa's now, they warm up slower but once they are warm I can do anything with no worries in the world, also much better feel in the corners.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by PrimeDirective
Try keeping an eye on your entrance speed and RPMs. it's harder to power out of one turn into the next on a 600. I like the corsa IIIs because i feel like i have a lot more control over what the bike is doing. I definitely improved my lower-speed flickability with this tire. by feedback i ment a good sense of what the tire is gonna do and if i can push it harder when your'e approaching it's traction limits. the PPs don't really give much until you've already hit that point and it's too late. i could graph it easier than explain but that's because i'm a math nerd. I'm sure you could get a better feel for them though if that's all you ran. I mainly just like the corsa IIIs though because of the neutral profile.

oh yea. no matter what tire you choose make sure you can install them first. a lot of shops wont do it if you bought the tire somewhere else.
I get what you are saying about it being easier to graph. Ya the 600's are going to be a little slower out of the corner just because of the displacement difference, but I like the nimbleness of them through quick turns.

The lack of warning before the tire is gonna break loose kind of worries me, thats what my Metzler did to me. I was in a sweeping right hand bank around a corner and I was leaning to my limit when the back tire just kind of went weightless. I Lost the back tire and went down to the rear set which actually saved a slide. My rear set hit the pavement and slowed the slide enough that the tire regained traction and the bike came upright in a hurry. It broke the end of the rear set, but thats replaceable. My pants are a little rashed on the knee and calf, but I was fine. I don't want that to happen again.

I'll look at those 16's Hangfire. What month was the shootout in by chance?