F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Suggestions on new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on new tires?

I know a lot of you guys have run all sorts of different tires on your bikes, but I haven't seen much feedback on them in general. I need to replace my rear tire pronto, its gotten dangerously low and i haven't paid close attention. I have Metzlers on the bike right now but I would like to go to a little softer tire. I like the Metzlers, but they take too long to warm up and can be slick when I corner hard.

I am leaning towards a more track oriented tire this time around to see how I like it. Basically, I can think of three major ones that come to mind and was wondering what your experience with them was.

Pirelli Diablo's
Micheline Pilot Power's
Dunlop Qualifiers's

If you use something else and like them please let me know. These will be my summer riding tires, so I want something that I can count on if I want to go hard.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 AM
July 2008 ROTM

My opinion on my Pilot Power 2CTs: Awesome tire. Warms up decently quick (really depends on how you're riding). Taller than most tires so it dives into turns easier. Plenty sticky. Got more than 7k miles out of my last set, and that includes some burnouts and shenanigans.

Heard nothing but good about Diablo's. Have heard mixed reviews on Qualifiers.

I'd say just pick one, install them, and see if you like it. No one can tell you what the best tire is for you.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Exitwounds;761268] These will be my summer riding tires...QUOTE]

As opposed to what, winter riding. I dont think they make Blizzaks for bikes.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 AM

i got the PP 2CT and they are pretty awesome
thats probably what ill continue to get, my buddy got some metzlers after his PPs and low sided out with them. it could have been the combo of cold ground and they were still pretty new, but idk maybe the slow warming up had somethin to do with it, i really dont know. i just know i like the PP 2CTs

Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 AM

X3 for the 2CT's. Tires are the last thing between you and a ditch/ car/ tree/ telephone pole, so why skimp?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Sounds like i'll give the PP's a whirl.

I said summer tires because its when I ride the hardest on tires, not because I ride in the winter . I did have a guy ask me one time if they made snow tires for my bike, to this day I still think he was being completely serious....

Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 PM

If you want a track oriented tire get dunlop sportmax GP. this tire dominates. best feedback and grip i've experienced. the trade-off is the price.

qualifiers are cheap and have excellent grip but dont last very long. i went through a set of these in 3200 miles of some serious abuse. this was on the first bike i ever had and my wear strips went right to the edge.

pilot power 2CT is a good tire for grip and durability but it has a higher profile and tends to cause you to "dive" into turns. it feels cool but i dont feel like i have as much control over what's going on with these and the feedback at the limit isn't very good.

pirelli diablo corsa III's are the tires i prefer for street. same grip as a PP but they allowed me to push and improve my ability in the low speed flicks. i feel like i have a lot more control with these tires and they give better feedback than PP.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by PrimeDirective
If you want a track oriented tire get dunlop sportmax GP. this tire dominates. best feedback and grip i've experienced. the trade-off is the price.

qualifiers are cheap and have excellent grip but dont last very long. i went through a set of these in 3200 miles of some serious abuse. this was on the first bike i ever had and my wear strips went right to the edge.

pilot power 2CT is a good tire for grip and durability but it has a higher profile and tends to cause you to "dive" into turns. it feels cool but i dont feel like i have as much control over what's going on with these and the feedback at the limit isn't very good.

pirelli diablo corsa III's are the tires i prefer for street. same grip as a PP but they allowed me to push and improve my ability in the low speed flicks. i feel like i have a lot more control with these tires and they give better feedback than PP.
What specifically do they give you better feedback doing? Something that annoyed me with my current tires is lack of response when I try and shift weight quickly and coming back up right in a low, fast corner exit.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM

i don't have experience with the diablos or dunlops, but i have pilot power 2cts now and i love them...i'm yet to find their limit and htey seem to be wearing fairly well...not going to fix something that ain't broken

will purchase them again

Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 PM

2CT's very fast warm up. Grip like no other. Corners like your on rails. Over 8000 miles on this set and still going. Dual Compound rubber makes them last longer.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on new tires?