F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Strange Noises?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noises?

hey guys,

when i'm simply riding around on my 05 f4i it often makes a sort of clicking noise that seems to be coming from the front of the bike. I'm not sure where exactly because i can't hear it unless im moving and its too low to pin point exactly where on the bike its coming from. Its not from the tire area or anything it sounds like its somewhere in the front cowl area. Also when I accelerate sometimes I hear a sort of swishing noise or grinding noise and I don't know what to make of it, if i release the accel. it will go away and it doesn't always make the noise (also seems to be from the front of the bike however lower than the click). If anyone knows what these noises could be i'd appreciate some help.

Old 06-09-2006, 04:06 AM
Default RE: Strange Noises?

its your cam chain tensioner... it should come around between 6-8k

Old 06-09-2006, 09:00 AM

I have the same problem, I think we all do. But my clicking noise is pissing me off, it comes in at around 4-5 rpm, I dunno if It can be fixed or not

Old 06-09-2006, 09:37 AM

It definitely sounds like it is the cam chain tensioner. I brought my 2001 F4i into Honda for the same exact sound and thats what it was. I just picked it up yesterday and it came to $240 for them to do the repair and the sound is gone. After they told me what the problem was I did some research online and saw that it was a job I can do myself but by that time Honda would not give me my bike back. I asked to pick it up and they kept saying it was still apart and the new part would be in the next day and ready to pick up. So i got stuck paying the labor on it. The part is about $65 so if you have any mechanical skills just do it yourself. And just to add I have 9500 miles on my bike and finally did this fix. The sound just keeps getting louder and louder over time.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: CKF4i420

It definitely sounds like it is the cam chain tensioner. I brought my 2001 F4i into Honda for the same exact sound and thats what it was. I just picked it up yesterday and it came to $240 for them to do the repair and the sound is gone. After they told me what the problem was I did some research online and saw that it was a job I can do myself but by that time Honda would not give me my bike back. I asked to pick it up and they kept saying it was still apart and the new part would be in the next day and ready to pick up. So i got stuck paying the labor on it. The part is about $65 so if you have any mechanical skills just do it yourself. And just to add I have 9500 miles on my bike and finally did this fix. The sound just keeps getting louder and louder over time.
$240!!! holy crap. yeah you can buy the APE manual CCT from CBRzone for $52 plus shipping and there's a DIY writeup on it. hopefully honda didn't replace it with another automatic CCT. otherwise you're going to have to replace it again in another 3-5k.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:16 PM

is the ape manual cct the only replace ment or are there other auto replacements that will work? with the maunal how often does it need to be ajusted

Old 06-09-2006, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: 95camaro01f4i

is the ape manual cct the only replace ment or are there other auto replacements that will work? with the maunal how often does it need to be ajusted
as far as i know they are the only replacement and since CBRzone sponsers the board it's a good thing to buy from them. from what i've read you want to stay away from auto replacements bc they tend to do the same thing the OEM one did and break around 5k or so. once the manual CCT is adjusted you locktight the nut and you shouldn't need to adjust bc it will have the same constant pressure on the chain. where as the auto changes the tension as it sees fit which in turn is probably one of the reason it fails all the time.