F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iJapanesey
I have mine ordered so just waiting for the vss. I've noticed that my bike starts puttering when I give it a little gas. This happens when the speedo shows zero. But it always stops when the speedo comes back on about 15 minutes into riding. Really baffles me at why it always decides to come on after about 15 minutes.

Either way, I'll be sure to repost after I get it in.
Mine does not putter or anything. But what I was told is that since the bike has no idea how fast it is going, it also has no idea how much gas it needs to feed into the engine. This is also the cause of the solid FI light.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my speed sensor in today. I'm going to attempt to use a flexi bit that connects to my drill and go in from behind the rear shock. That's the only way I see the bolts coming out. Otherwise I'll have to tear the bike down and take the throttle bodies off etc like the manual says to do. But I'll keep you guys posted on it.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM

OKay guys- put the new speed sensor in and all is well.

The flexi extension didn't work, but I hooked 3 small extensions to a small ratchet, and was able to get to it that way. You will have to lift up your tank since one of the bolts(left side) to the sensor will have to be unscrewed from the other side of the cross bar on the frame. Should take about 1.5 hrs from start to finish. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to know you got it done mate, with the tank off did you then have to remove the TBs? I couldnt even get close last time I had my tank off, too much in the way. What did the old one look like? damaged, dirty covered in metal bits?

If I need to take the TBs off I may as well do my valves at the same time

Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM

I just lifted the tank and held it up with bungy cords. Then I went down the back side of the tank where there's a gap between the fame and throttle bodies. Like I said, you will have to use a few extensions to get down in there, but it will definitely work. I should have snapped a few pictures for a tutorial. Next time it rains I may tool with the idea.

The manual does tell you to take the throttle bodies off, but that consists of draining the coolant and taking out half the bike which would literally take about 4+ hours and having to replace a few washers.

The sensor was pretty dirty. Did have some debris on it along with some metal shavings which may have caused the sensor to malfunction at cold start. The sensor itself still looked new after pulling it out and wiping down, but like I said before, I didn't retest it since I knew the new sensor would work.

I would start with cleaning the old sensor and reinstalling it first before spending the money for a new one. Will save a bunch of money!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, if I can avoid taking off the TBs then I certainly will.

Last time I went for the speed sensor I had a coolant bottle and a load of pipes in the way (mine is the banana seat model so it might be different) but will give it another go, its been almost a whole month now since I've had to take my bike apart . I wouldn't mind a photo of how you got at it mind, might save me some swearing and scraped knuckles.

Cheers for the help.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:14 PM

ill get the basics up when I change my oil this weekend.

The banana seat doesn't matter, but you will need to take it off.