F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor

Ok, first off I did search on here and elsewhere a lot about this particular problem, but nothing seems to really be helping me much.

I have a 2001 CBR 600 F4i and my speedometer is stuck at 0, even when I start off from starting it up it will not even move. After about 15 min of riding it will come on and work for the rest of my ride, but then the same thing will happen all over again each time I ride. No engine problems or anything. Along with no speed on the speedometer, the odometer and tripometer also do not record miles, which according to the Service Manual indicates a problem with the speed sensor. I checked and triple checked the speed sensor. Pulled it apart and it looks perfectly fine, no corrosion or anything so I plugged the sensor back in and still nothing. So I assume my speed sensor is dead? Or is it even the speed sensor? I checked all my fuses and none of the wires are loose.

The odd thing that I can't seem to find any input on is...why would it come on after 15 min? is it because it is then warmed up and the temp is higher and if so what would the temp have to do with the speed sensor? The point is that the fact that it comes on after 15 min makes me think it is something else. Because all the posts from people with the speed sensor problem describe it as either have no speed ever or having the speedometer cut in and out - but mine works after I drive it for a while, which makes no sense to me.

So assuming that the speed sensor is dead. I can't find anywhere to order the part so I assume I have no choice but to go to the dealership and have them fix it? and if so what can I expect for them to charge me? for both labor and parts?

Thank you for your help.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got the same issue with mine as far as the mph sticking at 0 for about 15 mins. Pretty sure it's the VSS- I'll prob need to put a meter on it and check for the pulse.

Did you have to pull your throttle bodies under your tank to get to your sensor? Or were you able to unscrew it from behind the rear wheel? Looks like a pain either way, but I'm almost certain that's the problem. It is weird that your odometer doesn't move either though as mine does.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:09 PM

According to the service manual. If the speed sensor is faulty then both the speedometer and the odometer/tripometer will not work. If only the speedometer is not working then that indicates a problem with your speedometer gauge and not your speed sensor, according to the manual anyway. Mine, however, doesn't record speed or odometer so mine has to be the speed sensor.

Getting to the speed sensor is insanely hard. First off, check the wire coming from the speed sensor, there is a 3 prong black connector with a pink wire - make sure that is connected first. Mine was and looks fine which is what is so puzzeling because my speed sensor looks fine but yet it isn't lol.

As for unbolting the actual speed sensor you will need like an 8 inch extension with a ratchet and a jointed adapter (not sure on the exact name, it allows you to angle the end of the ratchet). I went in from behind by the shock and rear tire - was the only way I could reach it.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ares
According to the service manual. If the speed sensor is faulty then both the speedometer and the odometer/tripometer will not work. If only the speedometer is not working then that indicates a problem with your speedometer gauge and not your speed sensor, according to the manual anyway. Mine, however, doesn't record speed or odometer so mine has to be the speed sensor.

Getting to the speed sensor is insanely hard. First off, check the wire coming from the speed sensor, there is a 3 prong black connector with a pink wire - make sure that is connected first. Mine was and looks fine which is what is so puzzeling because my speed sensor looks fine but yet it isn't lol.

As for unbolting the actual speed sensor you will need like an 8 inch extension with a ratchet and a jointed adapter (not sure on the exact name, it allows you to angle the end of the ratchet). I went in from behind by the shock and rear tire - was the only way I could reach it.

Hmmmm....I guess it's not my sensor then. Perhaps something loose. It's weird though because it starts working after about 15 minutes, but then does not work after a cold start. Always comes back on when completely warm. Guess I need to check Wires for a start now.

Thanks for your valuable info- there's 1 vss for sale on eBay I saw. You should prob ****** it up at 29.99 before someone else does

Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 PM

I would start by looking at the connectors to see if someone by chance put dielectric grease in them. If they caked it in there it will cause it to not work until heated and the gel gets heated. Or it could be you got water in a connector and you have some corrosion. Something along those lines would be my guess since it starts working after it gets warmed up.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by LoneWolf04
I would start by looking at the connectors to see if someone by chance put dielectric grease in them. If they caked it in there it will cause it to not work until heated and the gel gets heated. Or it could be you got water in a connector and you have some corrosion. Something along those lines would be my guess since it starts working after it gets warmed up.
Ya I thought of that too. But all the connectors were clean. and no corrosion. I did put some dielectric grease on, which actually seemed to help a bit for a short time. I think the sensor is just on its last leg and is near complete death. My best guess is that it heating up has something to do with its connectivity and perhaps helps it produce a charge. Or it may have nothing to do with heat and may just take 15 min for it to catch up and start reading a speed. Kind of confusing as to why it kicks in after a certain time tho, i'm hoping it is just the sensor and not some tricky electric short in the wires or something.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by LoneWolf04
Not 100% sure if it's coming on when it gets warm, or if it just decides to come on after a certain period of time. It's weird because once it comes back on, it usually stays on until i cold start again.

It started last weekend when I was at the track in AL- the red light(fi) came on and I noticed the numbers jumping. I just thought something must have rattled a wire loose since I almost lost my tail screws from vibration.

Its definitely not a grease thing because it worked perfectly up until the track. Just baffled since it does come back on after riding for about 10-15 mins.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:11 AM

Ya I thought of that too. But all the connectors were clean. and no corrosion. I did put some dielectric grease on, which actually seemed to help a bit for a short time. I think the sensor is just on its last leg and is near complete death. My best guess is that it heating up has something to do with its connectivity and perhaps helps it produce a charge. Or it may have nothing to do with heat and may just take 15 min for it to catch up and start reading a speed. Kind of confusing as to why it kicks in after a certain time tho, i'm hoping it is just the sensor and not some tricky electric short in the wires or something.
seems to be a common thing with the f4i. I just can't get an answer as to what it is exactly. With your problem, it def sounds like the VSS needs replacing. You should prob put a meter on it and check to see if there's a pulse at all when moving the rear. I'm gonna do the same tomorrow.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey
Not 100% sure if it's coming on when it gets warm, or if it just decides to come on after a certain period of time. It's weird because once it comes back on, it usually stays on until i cold start again.

It started last weekend when I was at the track in AL- the red light(fi) came on and I noticed the numbers jumping. I just thought something must have rattled a wire loose since I almost lost my tail screws from vibration.

Its definitely not a grease thing because it worked perfectly up until the track. Just baffled since it does come back on after riding for about 10-15 mins.
Yep, this is pretty much exactly what happened when mine went. Just that whenever the speedo isn't working it is not recording miles. When the speedo comes on after 15 min then it records miles on the odometer. And it will keep working until cold starting again, just as you described. Seems as if we both have a very similar problem. You may want to double check when riding and see if your odometer is actually recording miles when your speedo is at 0 because I didn't even notice my Odometer wasn't rolling either until yesterday. My odometer works after 15 min once the speedo comes on, but not a moment before.

By the way, my friend and I think your name is hilarious lol. iJapanesey, just straight up awesome lol.

Last edited by Ares; 04-05-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:33 AM

Yep, this is pretty much exactly what happened when mine went. Just that whenever the speedo isn't working it is not recording miles. When the speedo comes on after 15 min then it records miles on the odometer. And it will keep working until cold starting again, just as you described. Seems as if we both have a very similar problem. You may want to double check when riding and see if your odometer is actually recording miles when your speedo is at 0 because I didn't even notice my Odometer wasn't rolling either until yesterday. My odometer works after 15 min once the speedo comes on, but not a moment before.

By the way, my friend and I think your name is hilarious lol. iJapanesey, just straight up awesome lol.

Hey I was just out riding the bike around the complex once. Sure enough the odometer didn't jump any. I'm 100% convinced that it's the VSS(speed sensor) now. I must have looked at the odometer reading while my mph just started working. So yes... we both need the VSS! I did see somewhere had it for $75 + shipping new. Guess i'll have to get one.

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor