F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iJapanesey
Okay here's the update:

Put the voltmeter on the vss lines, and NO PULSE. Looks like it's time for my new VSS to be ordered.

I checked the pink and green wires running directly from the VSS sitting in front of the rear shock. Pretty confident that this is 100% my problem now. If not, I'll sell anyone my old VSS lol -_-
Brilliant, this will likely help me as well. It's down pouring here so can't check mine yet, but I am sure it is the VSS now after you checked it since we both seem to have the exact same problem. I decided just to go along and attempt to install myself, not entirely sure on how to get the dang thing out of there but I'm gonna give it a try before I spend a ridiculous amount on labor for the dealer. My plan so far is to use my 8 inch extension for my socket wrench and then get a hinged adapter for the end of it so I can stick the socket wrench in from behind the rear shock. Thanks for all of your help, mucho appreciado!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I check it both plugged in and unplugged. Put it on my rear stand, turned the ignition to ON, then rolled my rear wheel. No pulse each time.

ARes- the best way is to probably take your throttle bodies off when replacing it. It's such a tight squeeze going in from behind the wheel especially if you have big hands. But it can def be done with the right tools.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
How did you check the VSS then, unplug and use the voltmeter or run it in parralel?

If in parralel, how did you get a connection?
I havn't done it yet cuz I don't have the time yet as I am a student. But all you have to do is open it up and then the actual speed sensor is bolted into the crankcase on the far left side near the shifter, it might be kind of hidden by wires and hoses (don't remove this yet), follow the wire coming from the speed sensor until you find a black 3 prong connector with pink wires, disconnect this and use the voltmeter on the piece of wire coming directly from the speed sensor (NOT the side going to the dash). Also, if the Speed Sensor is going to give off a pulse it will only give off a readable charge while you elevate the rear tire and spin it. If there is a pulse then the speed sensor is likely fine (unless the pulse is faint and low in which case it is prblly on its last leg). If there is a faint or no pulse then it needs to be replaced. After this you may want to try unbolting it from the crankcase, cleaning it, and then trying it again for a pulse.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by iJapanesey
I check it both plugged in and unplugged. Put it on my rear stand, turned the ignition to ON, then rolled my rear wheel. No pulse each time.

ARes- the best way is to probably take your throttle bodies off when replacing it. It's such a tight squeeze going in from behind the wheel especially if you have big hands. But it can def be done with the right tools.
Ya i've never removed my throttle bodies before but I guess now is a better time than ever. This just sounds like it's going to be a real pain to replace, but I really don't want to pay the stealership for maintenance so...ya.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 AM

I had the same problem with my 01' F4i at the end of last season. I was riding down the highway and then the speedo just cut out. I also got a solid red "FI" light during this time. Bike ran fine but no speed was registering at all. It then worked intermittently for a period of time and then just stopped registering altogether. I ordered up a speed sensor and had it replaced and now everything works as it should...no problems whatsoever. I'm in Canada so I'm not sure about pricing comparisons...Cost me $60 for the sensor and $90 to get it installed. A fix worth the money since I don't want a speeding ticket. A common problem from what I've read (before I had it changed out I did quite a bit of reading/problem solving). As I said I put a new one in and now it's good as new!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by BTEFOUREYE
I had the same problem with my 01' F4i at the end of last season. I was riding down the highway and then the speedo just cut out. I also got a solid red "FI" light during this time. Bike ran fine but no speed was registering at all. It then worked intermittently for a period of time and then just stopped registering altogether. I ordered up a speed sensor and had it replaced and now everything works as it should...no problems whatsoever. I'm in Canada so I'm not sure about pricing comparisons...Cost me $60 for the sensor and $90 to get it installed. A fix worth the money since I don't want a speeding ticket. A common problem from what I've read (before I had it changed out I did quite a bit of reading/problem solving). As I said I put a new one in and now it's good as new!

Good to hear- That's not a bad price for installation at all. I'm guessing it would be around $200 just to install around here in the Atlanta area, but I'll be doing it myself since I'm broke!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn thats cheap!

In the UK Honda want £129 ($200) just for the sensor! I hate the UK

No chance I'm paying that on top of labour rates

Let me know how cleaning it goes

Old 04-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update on what worked/didn't work guys?

Old 04-17-2010, 11:16 AM

nothin yet. still havn't solved it. It's very odd as the temperature outside here gets hotter the speed sensor is starting to work more often, as I suspected it would. It still goes off at various points tho or if the engine is cold.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:17 PM

I have mine ordered so just waiting for the vss. I've noticed that my bike starts puttering when I give it a little gas. This happens when the speedo shows zero. But it always stops when the speedo comes back on about 15 minutes into riding. Really baffles me at why it always decides to come on after about 15 minutes.

Either way, I'll be sure to repost after I get it in.

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor