F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Some feedback needed on braking??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Some feedback needed on braking??

Actually KUKU I didn't have an issue with your comments.

WOOT- You know that you have my respect as an iron butt, but don't you think that your "always" advice is a bit preachy? FWIW, suspension instability on braking usually means too much rebound or too soft springs.

We can't expect to follow "general" guidance and tell newbs, "this is how it's done, Sonny Boy". That's with braking or any other aspect of riding. It's just an "idea". Don't marry the idea.

My point as above is, the F4i is a SPORTBIKE, and as general (here I go) they are ridden with a different technique than the standards we learned on at MSF. The front brake has the ability to do 100% of the braking. That's not my words, those are the words of experts like Mr. Code. This is why we can endo an F4i. We can also use the rear brake to good effect as well, and as WOOT pointed out, by applying a bit just before front application to reduce weight transfer or to tighten lines mid-corner.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot to add: when the weight transfers to the front, the suspension compresses but also so does the tire, which increases it's footprint. Think over that.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nature of my character and internet communication... Personally I'd love spend my life talking about the details of how a bike works and how one could improve ones technique... but given my size, ability and budget I'm not going to be a professional racer... I'll take my seat as a desktop typer.

I think the intent of my post can be distilled to practice. The "always" part is what I do... and I do overly communicate that at times... I do think that a beginner rider should work on making most of this type of stuff muscle memory. Take the thinking out of the actions. I guess that's my always

Old 03-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I supposed to be thinking about the foot print?

Front tire:
Weight transfer and increased footprint = more traction, so more and more can be spent on braking.

Rear tire:
Less weight due to transfer, smaller contact patch = less friction, so less and less can be spent on braking.

[hr]

For the beginner rider I can understand why one would suggest to only use front. The problem there is that if you train them to do that, then you have to later retrain them to do that when you want to get them to use the rear brake.

The first thing a person does when caught in a panic stop is what the body feels is right - you can train the body to do the "right thing" (what ever that is) or let it do the natural human thing (the death squeeze - resulting in lock-up).

Old 03-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

My point as above is, the F4i is a SPORTBIKE, and as general (here I go) they are ridden with a different technique than the standards we learned on at MSF. The front brake has the ability to do 100% of the braking. That's not my words, those are the words of experts like Mr. Code. This is why we can endo an F4i. We can also use the rear brake to good effect as well, and as WOOT pointed out, by applying a bit just before front application to reduce weight transfer or to tighten lines mid-corner.
This is what i've been working on the last couple of days as it is physics "thing". The other factors, i feel, can fine tune other aspects of braking.
Cheers

Old 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

Forgot to add: when the weight transfers to the front, the suspension compresses but also so does the tire, which increases it's footprint. Think over that.
Hmmm. That's a little beyond me, right now.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: woot

The nature of my character and internet communication... Personally I'd love spend my life talking about the details of how a bike works and how one could improve ones technique... but given my size, ability and budget I'm not going to be a professional racer... I'll take my seat as a desktop typer.

I think the intent of my post can be distilled to practice. The "always" part is what I do... and I do overly communicate that at times... I do think that a beginner rider should work on making most of this type of stuff muscle memory. Take the thinking out of the actions. I guess that's my always

I understand. It works for the military as well as Martial Arts...you shouldn't have to think about it, once you know it. For sure.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: woot

Am I supposed to be thinking about the foot print?

Front tire:
Weight transfer and increased footprint = more traction, so more and more can be spent on braking.

Rear tire:
Less weight due to transfer, smaller contact patch = less friction, so less and less can be spent on braking.

[hr]

For the beginner rider I can understand why one would suggest to only use front. The problem there is that if you train them to do that, then you have to later retrain them to do that when you want to get them to use the rear brake.

The first thing a person does when caught in a panic stop is what the body feels is right - you can train the body to do the "right thing" (what ever that is) or let it do the natural human thing (the death squeeze - resulting in lock-up).

Wow! That actually helped.