Just bought Wrecked 2004 CBR 1000rr. Help/feedback needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought Wrecked 2004 CBR 1000rr. Help/feedback needed

Ok guys this is my first post over here. So let me introduce myself. My name is Brenden and I live in New Jersey, I've been riding Street bikes since 2005. My last bike was an 05 GSX-R 600, but I wanted to get something bigger.

Last night I bought a rebuildable salvage title bike, and I want to get you guys take on the bike. If I got a good deal on the bike? And how much it will cost me to fix?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=

I plan on putting Repsol plastics on it and found the full kit on ebay for about $400. I also found a gauge cluster for $150. Lights look to cost about 300-400. Im not sure if the wiring is intact on the bike and that is one thing that concerns me, because I don’t know much about electrical systems.

This will be a project bike and I hope to get it on the road in a month or two. What do you guys think. Im sure I will have lots of questions. Also, can anyone recommend any other forums for 1000rr’s or forums that deal with fixing up a bike where I can ask questions?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:27 PM

Ive never been a fan of buying a salvage bike, unless it was a killer deal.The only wrecked bike I ever bought was an R6, and I got it for 1200 bucks, and it had a clear title with minor bodywork damage. In fact, the damage was less than what this one is and it still cost me an extra grand.

it doesnt look to bad. But as far as a good deal. Its not bad, but by the time you put the money in it to fix it, you could have bought a bike that wasnt wrecked. Not to mention, you will always have a salvage titled bike that will never bring the same amount of money if you ever decided to sell it.

Once you start digging into situations like these, you always find more wrong that what was on the surface.

Im not trying to be harsh, but just be prepared to invest quite a bit into it.

you can also checkout 1000RR.com. and 1000RR.net

Old 05-05-2009, 02:04 PM

I know I will be putting some money into the bike and I don’t mind. Its going to be a project bike for me. I know i will be spending about $400 on plastics and $150 on gauges. $200+ on lights. I was looking to you guys to let me know what other cost I can anticipate, and any advice and/or concerns or I should have about wiring the bike? I am concerned that the wiring for the headlight and gauge may not be intact?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 PM

there is a sub harness tha plugs into the main harness. this then leads to the gauge cluster, blinkers, BAS, and headlight. I see em on ebay all the time listed as headlight harness. you may even luck out if you buy a used headlight on ebay, a lot times the harness will still with the headlight. But you can see the main harness plug ziptied to the deflector in the front pic. this is where the subharness plugs into.

It looks like your going to need a fairing stay in addition to your parts list. the Bank Angle Sensor also mounts to the back of the headlight. Its hard to tell from the pics what else may be needed. but from whats missing, I'd say:
BAS
Headlight
Fairing Stay
guage cluster
blinkers
Horn,
Clutch lever with Master Cylinder
and the obvious plastics.

The tail section looks tweaked to me form the pics so that may need to be replaced. Also, the overhead shot of the clipon looking down on the fender looks suspect as well.

heres a link to a service manual for that bike. should help out some
http://hondatech.info/downloads/Moto/CBR/CBR1000/

Last edited by justasquid; 05-05-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default y

i looked at this bike on ebay a day or two ago.....i more than understand its easlier to come up with 3 grand then it is to come up with 5 or so...
3 grand plus at least another grand to fix it,,if not more in the end..
4-5 grand bike with salvage title= about a 3500.00 bike when its all said and done.dont take this the wrong way but u might be better puttin it back on ebay...no offence to u ,but might think on it before u start throwing alot into it.........

Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 PM

I just rebuilt my 04 from a similar wreck, squid has the parts right. However DONT buy the carbon fiber upper stay on ebay that thing is junk. It shakes way to bad for street riding. I bought the Red Bull plastic off ebay and it looks great, it does have some small fitment issues but if you got a dremel tool it can be fixed, just use the stock inner panels on the mid/ lower fairings. Good luck on the guage cluster and a good case!!