F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Some feedback needed on braking??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some feedback needed on braking??

No worries. Got the blipping thing.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 AM

Can you kindly elaborate a bit more?
I think you should listen (and so should some of the other posters who thought it was a good idea to talk about "what they do"). Some of you guys are going to get hurt with some of these dangerous philosophies. Remember to separate technique and philosophy.
I liked your point:
and remember not to get too tied down to doing things one way every time

Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Keith Code is the master explainer on this subject. This article is from where I cite as my references for my above comments.

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=258

I'd be happy to discuss further. I've read this article (and many others) several times over the years.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally always use both brakes* all of the time. Using the rear brake you can help the bike's suspension. Dragging the rear tire the bike won't transfer the weight to the front as harshly. You do want to let the weight transfer, but you want to minimize the instability in the suspension.

As always - it is a matter of being smooth and firm. Going hard on either brake will not stop you as efficiently as coming onto the brakes and increasing preasure... Grabbing a mitt full will never give you a chance to modulate the brake preasure. If anything is going to go wrong and you're giving it a full mitt - you'll hit the deck before you even knew what happened.

I have a number of exercises I do every spring. One is a no-brakes ride (low straight speed, moderate turn speed) and another is a braking exercise.

Start riding at ~30mph - and stop with both brakes easily. Do it again, increase preasure. Do it again, increase pressure. As you keep repeating the exercise the tires are getting warmer, you're getting more comfortable, and things are starting to come back to you. The last few runs are full on braking - and you want to do it without locking or lifting anything. This is a pretty hard full body workout. Repition does a few things - you get smoother, you learn the limit, and you train your body to do the right thing. Next time an emergancy stop pops up - your body will know better what to do... and it might shave enough feet off the stopping distance that you'll ride away shaking your head, instead of crashing/falling.

Just my $0.02.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

* - things change given road conditions. I will use almost all rear brake downhill at low speeds in deep gravel for example... with a rear tire failure it's all front brake. In wet weather the front is used more gradually than ever...

Old 03-18-2008, 10:17 AM

Yeah, I came across that article, it is quite comprehensive and I'm dying to take one his classes. I asked you to elaborate not to challenge you but to learn myself some more. I'm not sure if you felt that my post is of the
dangerous philosophies
category. Any feedback / criticism are always very welcome and appreciated.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird180

I think Keith Code is the master explainer on this subject. This article is from where I cite as my references for my above comments.

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=258

I'd be happy to discuss further. I've read this article (and many others) several times over the years.
Great resource...I haven't looked at that for awhile.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: woot

I personally always use both brakes* all of the time. Using the rear brake you can help the bike's suspension. Dragging the rear tire the bike won't transfer the weight to the front as harshly. You do want to let the weight transfer, but you want to minimize the instability in the suspension.

As always - it is a matter of being smooth and firm. Going hard on either brake will not stop you as efficiently as coming onto the brakes and increasing preasure... Grabbing a mitt full will never give you a chance to modulate the brake preasure. If anything is going to go wrong and you're giving it a full mitt - you'll hit the deck before you even knew what happened.

I have a number of exercises I do every spring. One is a no-brakes ride (low straight speed, moderate turn speed) and another is a braking exercise.

Start riding at ~30mph - and stop with both brakes easily. Do it again, increase preasure. Do it again, increase pressure. As you keep repeating the exercise the tires are getting warmer, you're getting more comfortable, and things are starting to come back to you. The last few runs are full on braking - and you want to do it without locking or lifting anything. This is a pretty hard full body workout. Repition does a few things - you get smoother, you learn the limit, and you train your body to do the right thing. Next time an emergancy stop pops up - your body will know better what to do... and it might shave enough feet off the stopping distance that you'll ride away shaking your head, instead of crashing/falling.

Just my $0.02.

That's definitely doable and you explained the first part well. Cheers.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: woot

* - things change given road conditions. I will use almost all rear brake downhill at low speeds in deep gravel for example... with a rear tire failure it's all front brake. In wet weather the front is used more gradually than ever...
Good to know.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM

All these concepts, once you get to the root of it and with plenty of practice, my skills and confidence will come. And soon I'll be going to track and getting some instruction and, again, they'll fine tune it.

Quick Reply: Some feedback needed on braking??