F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rats Destroyed ECT Sensor Connection

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rats Destroyed ECT Sensor Connection

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to the forum and this is my first motorcycle. I've had it about four years or so now. I moved back home after college and the place that my parents lived didn't allow motorcycles (gated golf course community), so I left my bike in my girlfriend's mom's garage for about a year or so. Apparently they don't close the back door to their garage and it looks like rats got in and chewed up my ECT sensor connection and partially chewed through one radiator hose. I can't see any other damage yet; I'm in the process of taking the bike apart enough to be able to see what is actually damaged.

Is buying a full wiring harness the only way to replace this plug? Are you able to re-wire these plugs, and how? I've been looking at used wiring harnesses on eBay and I don't even see the ECT sensor plug on them, so I'm wondering what specific sub-harness I need to buy... if anyone has any more info on that it would be great.

I've attached two pictures of the damage. The radiator hose seems pretty straightforward, I'm more concerned about what to do with the ECT sensor plug. It looks like one wire is completely eaten through with a small nub protruding from the connection to the plastic ECT sensor connector. Another wire is partially chewed through and seems like it could be fixed with some electrical tape, and the third wire seems fine. Is my best bet to try and work with the nub and solder a new wire from there to a point that is not chewed up, or would it be easy to find a new ECT sensor connector with wires ready to solder and replace the whole thing?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Rats Destroyed ECT Sensor Connection-img_5323.jpg   Rats Destroyed ECT Sensor Connection-img_5322.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

If there is enough slack to get the plug out I would see about getting a couple of new pins and redoing it. Or go to the regular parts store and wee about making your own plug by buying a male and female connector with the right amount of connections.

I have made a couple by using old hard drive power connectors. They are keyed so they can only plug together one way and if you have an old computer you probably already have them laying around.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the idea man. I was finally able to find the correct part of the harness on eBay and I just soldered it in. I also discovered my speed sensor connection had been severed too, so that was fun. Then I ended up losing the screw for the oil pressure sensor, ordering a whole new sensor, and then finding the screw when the new one arrived >.<. Six months later though she's up and running!