Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Gym rats, get in here

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gym rats, get in here

So I've been working out for the past 3 years on and off, everything was cool at first, but lately once in a while I get dizzy, sometimes my lips and my fingers will start tingling, and if I don't stop they'll get kind of numb, if I don't take a break I literaly feel like I am going to pass out. It's been pissing me off, I drink plenty of fluids and everything, I don't eat a lot, but I do eat, it's started happening earlier this year, hell at one point I ended up in ER, they only thing that they told me is that my pottasium levels were kind of low oh and they send me $5k bill, I've gone to the regular doctor for some blood work and at one point they told me that I had a hep A[:@], I couldn't sleep nor eat for a week, couldn't figure out how I got it, they ended up calling me a week later and telling me that they made a mistake and that they needed more of my blood, well need less to say I didn't go back. Plus I started feeling better and I forgot all about it, so I started hitting the gym again and it's all coming back again, anybody got any ideas???

Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gym rats, get in here

sounds like you need to give them some more of that blood they were asking for...that has happened to me before, but in over 5 years of lifting, its only happened like 3 times to me...i got that same dizzy, naseau, my whole face is numb, i feel like im gonna vomit/pass out feeling...a doctor is going to know better than anyone...

Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 AM

Minor threadjack here. I have recently started weight training again and would really like to know if there is a good way to avoid being so sore for the next couple days after a good workout. I don't think I am really overdoing it at all, but about 2 days later I can barely move and my muscles hurt ALOT. any suggestions?

Old 11-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Banned

avoid being so sore for the next couple days after a good workout
cherry juice.

Give more blood. Blood tests aren't that much money, the trip to the ER was/is.

You may have had a mini stroke, how was your vision? Look up TIA. it is a type of stroke. Do you have any lasting effects. The Hep A thing may alsoadd toa glycogen delivery problem. Make sure you eat ALOT. Drink Protien shakes all the time.

Try to make sure syou drink a protein shake before and after the gym. Complex carbs all the time. Simple carbs only during and right after the gym. That will help manage your insulin. Also drink a protien shake before bed and one at breakfast.

Keep a log of your food intake, and then see if it happens again. When I lift for size, it is all about eating alot and at the right time, maybe you are more sensitive to insulin levels.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 AM

Yeah, get your bloodwork done. Let the doctors figure out what's going on, not us internet "experts".

troyg3 - I think your first couple workouts will make you sore no matter what. I just started lifting again after about a 6 month hiatus. I'm starting out with WAY lower weights that I was using, like 40% lower. I'm still a little sore, since I did more reps at those lower weights, but it's not bad. After the first couple workouts I'll move back up in weights, and will rarely get sore againas long as I don't take more than a couple weeks off.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:58 AM

Make sure you eat a lot. Your body needs all the nurishment you can throw at it to repair those muscles.

Also...are you breathing properly? That could be a cause of the dizziness and tingling.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:25 AM

it may be a good idea to go to the chiropractor you may have a missalignment somewhere. when lifting heavy weights your back will go out of alignment it just happens chiropractors are less money than an md they will take xrays and tell you where your out of align. this could explain the numbness. you should still get the blood test though to see if there is anything medically wrong with you. as far as being sore your going to be. protein shakes will help and bananas will help to keep you from getting sore but no matter what you do you will be sore after you first start working out.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: scattabrain

Make sure you eat a lot. Your body needs all the nurishment you can throw at it to repair those muscles.

Also...are you breathing properly? That could be a cause of the dizziness and tingling.
exactly what I was thinking.

Also, are you on any supplements? creatine used to give me WICKED migraines and dizziness so I don't take that any more.

Also how much is "plenty" of fluids? If you're not drinking a gallon offluids a day (4 nalegenes), you're not drinking enough.

Again, make sure you take in those carbs and calories. Whole wheats, fruits, etc. If you wanna see gains in the gym eat at least 3000 cal a day. Gotta eat like an animal to become one! (but eat like a smart animal)

Old 11-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First guy, definately eat, eat, eat. People that are religiously in the gym will teall you they eat every 2-3 hours. Putting down about 3500 calories when they want to pick up weight. Sugar is not totally bad as long as you work it off. Get a glucose check you maybe hypoglycemic, or just reach it at times when you dont eat right and hit the weights hard.

Secong guy about being sore, just push through it and your body will get used to it after a few weeks. If you want there is a substance called glutamine that helps with the recovery time. Available at gnc.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 PM

I lift every other day and I sometimes get a headache now and then, but nothing major. I don't lift super heavy since I like the smaller cut look. I think you need to get that checked out man. I mean if you want to lift and it does that to you then it's worth looking into.

Quick Reply: Gym rats, get in here