F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

CBR moving towards the bright light in the sky.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR moving towards the bright light in the sky.

It has been a long time since I have needed advice on a fixing my CBR 600 f1 2002, as she has been so reliable. However, every good run must come to an end and she is 13 years old.

Well it all started out as a ticking from the engine. Not CCT, but like if you put a playing card in you pedal bike spokes and started riding. Still just a noise, started fine, full power.

MOT was coming up and I needed to change the chain and sprockets. One of the chain tensioner bolts was stuck in the swing arm. The head of the bolt snapped off too. Disconnected the battery, welded a new head on, heated up the end of the swing arm and tapped the spanner with a hammer till it came out. Finished the job.

Came to test ride it - Hard to start, no power and kept stalling. :-( Gutted.
41, 000 miles on the clock, it was well due spark plugs. They came today, I installed them and it was even harder to start.

What I know:
Compression tested each cylinder - Passed
New Spark plugs- and each one is sparking.
Coils are reading 11.3 ohms.
There is fuel to each cylinder, each down pipe is warm and the plug ends are getting black / Sooty- Bit rich.
Battery is good.
The ECU is reporting no fault codes.
To start the bike I have top open the throttle, like it requires more air, and keep it open a tad or it will stall. Once warm it will keep on without throttle. Sounds rough and lumpy.
I suspect the bike has not had the valve clearances done for a very long time.

So if anyone has any idea's, I would welcome some advice. I do not think I can take another week of using my wife's car.

Last edited by Bob_CBR; 05-23-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you looked at the fpr?

Old 05-24-2015, 05:15 AM

I did indeed. However, my testing was limited to pulling the vacuum pipe off and no petrol dripped out at ideal. This is the only test I know for the FPR.

There is another symptom, when you start her up from cold she ideals under 1000 RPM; when normally she would ideal at somewhere around 2000 RPM until the auto chock cuts out.

Question: I did notice that I might have made a mistake when re-assembling the spark plug wiring. I noticed that I put the white plugs onto the coils 1 3 2 4, and Haynes says cylinder order is 1 2 3 4. I just popped out and tried 1 2 3 4 and it started, from cold, but then bike bake fired and cut out, would not restart.

During the week, I'll take a look at the valve clearances.

Any more ideas, please fire away!!!!

Last edited by Bob_CBR; 05-24-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:10 AM

Further update.

So I did not mention it before, but the bike has a power commander on. After reading the entire internet on possible issues / fixes, someone recommended disconnecting it to just eliminate another thing. So I just have and the bike now runs a lot better, start with the throttle closed and rev better. Result.

Not out of the woods yet. The revs are not 100% stable, still a little rough. I'll let her cool down, then create a video. You guys might have a fresh point of view.