F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Question about integrated tail light fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010 | 12:30 PM
I Can't Sell Because I'm Hardheaded

I got one for my 00 F4 from D2 moto, which is the same for your 04, it was nice... not very bright though....

But yeah... If anyone wants it... 30 shipped...

Old 03-31-2010 | 12:59 PM
Registered Users

D2moto is okay, I bought mirrors from them and the reflection looked like a carnival mirror, stretching objects and what not, they refunded me and let me keep them. As far as emailing them, yeah they drag. I bought a similar tail light that they stock but from ebay, love it, had to splice though.

Old 03-31-2010 | 11:21 PM
|
Default Installed and done!

Originally Posted by K7inne09
I think you do need the grommets....mine were on my last tail light i took off...I was looking for a part at lowes and stumbled across rubber grommets there (idk if they are the right size as the ones on our bike) but it might be worth a shot... Let us know how it goes or what you do!
Forgot to post a reply about this.

Everything worked out great. I actually had to use something like a grommet to get the taillight to fit identical to the original (I should have taken pictures, but was in a rush when I was doing the install). Basically, there are 2 tabs that are in the same place as the original taillight is to keep the taillight in place. What was different was where the screws go into.

On the new taillight, it was almost like the taillight was about 3/8cm thinner (or just not the exact size of the original taillight--as in if screwing the new taillight into the cowl without the washer/grommet/nut, the cowl would be slightly turned inward) where you screw in the screws to keep the taillight in place. To fix my issue, instead of using grommets (because I didn't have time to go and look for some), I used 2 plastic license plate fastener/screw nuts (as this was what I had available at the time). It could have easily been solved with any rubber washer that fit over the screw and is about 1/4" thick to take up some space between the cowl and the taillight.

The taillight worked great, and the only other problem I ran into was with the wiring. I had to search on the forum and found a few write-ups for the wiring. Most were helpful, but one thing that was unclear (which made the taillight initially not work correctly) was that the wiring for the brake lights from the new taillight to the original wires should have used the left brake wires/bulb socket. When I first plugged mine in, I used the wires on the right (because the new taillight brake connector was on the right and I assumed to use that side's wiring harness) and it didn't work and I had to figure it out.

The taillight is not super-bright in the daytime, but it will work. I just have to be mindful of when to use hand-sigals. In fact, in my experience, most car drivers don't pay attention to motorcycle turn signals. I feel that motorcycle turn signals is really for other motorcycles behind you to know your next move.

Picture of fastener (I used the nut part):

Picture of taillight after install and with new homemade fender eliminator:

Old 04-03-2010 | 10:19 AM
|

So, yesterday I try to enjoy the weather and take the bike out for a ride and when I turned my bike on, the turn signal lights were both on like I had hazard lights. I checked and the connections were right and the cables were match connected to the right colors.

I then switched the harness from the left side to the right side (meaning, I was using the harness for the left brake light, then I switched it to the right brake light cable) cable and it worked fine. I don't know why it worked fine when I first connected it, but this was just weird.