F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Question about integrated tail light fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010 | 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by teko1020
Nah. They sent me another one because D2moto is a reputable company.
Crap I just caught you got it from ebay, so d2 sent you another one awesome. My buddy just bought some pegs for his f1, second time riding it one snapped off just by standing up. Maybe he should give them a call.

Old 03-20-2010 | 09:25 PM
Registered Users

ok so i was having issues with my tail light and have come to find that the previous owner converted the stock into an integrated tail light. that would be fine if it worked right. heres the problem, the right side doesnt have a running light so the left is on all the time but not the right, looks retarded! the signals and brake light work on both sides but i just can get the right side to have running power. i tried figuring out what he did but the wiring is a disaster and the connecters are garbage. my question is can i get an integrated tail light without needing to use the connecters, by splicing the factory wires to the new integrated light? i only ask because all the ones ive looked at say no modification required so im thinking they just connect to the factory connecters. help!
oh heres what he did:

there was a pound of electrical tape and there are more wires, some linked together behind the tail light. sorry no pic of that.

Old 03-20-2010 | 10:45 PM
|

Originally Posted by teko1020
Even after I had to zip tie it in since I was missing the mounting gromets for about a week.
Question:

Vangill mentioned this in the second post, but what is the issue with this tail light and not having the tabs/screw connectors?

Is there something else I should buy to get this light to fit/stay in place correctly and securely?

What about those grommets you speak of Teko?

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-20-2010 | 11:26 PM
July 2010 ROTM

On mine I just had to tighten it down really tight while I had someone hold it while the cowl was half on the bike so I could see the alignment. Lol. It's really not as bad as it sounds and once you get it it will stay. Did you ever get you're footbrake working right?

Old 03-21-2010 | 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by vangill
Did you ever get you're footbrake working right?
Vangill if your talking to me yeah I got it to work..I wasnt pushing down on it hard enough lol...although I dont think I need to push it as hard as I was...Idk i probably dont realize how much pressure you put on it with your foot so i just gently pushed it with my hand....Everything works like as charm...surprised to see ppl having an issue with volar mine looks really good....thanks for your help....only thing left to do is get my lock in and in working condition...not too sure how to mount it in there...ill throw up some pics later of the new tail!

Old 03-21-2010 | 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by supersnake83
Question:

Vangill mentioned this in the second post, but what is the issue with this tail light and not having the tabs/screw connectors?

Is there something else I should buy to get this light to fit/stay in place correctly and securely?

What about those grommets you speak of Teko?

Thanks for the help!
are you talking about the rubber grommets? those things are a pain in the @ss but if you squeeze one side (pinch it together) and feed it through the hole on the bracket its pretty easy... they are easier to put in than take out in my experience anyways...

Old 03-21-2010 | 08:18 PM
|

Originally Posted by K7inne09
are you talking about the rubber grommets? those things are a pain in the @ss but if you squeeze one side (pinch it together) and feed it through the hole on the bracket its pretty easy... they are easier to put in than take out in my experience anyways...
Yeah, but I was basically asking in reference to Teko's post. I was just wondering if the rubber grommets were required to make the tail light fight correctly/tightly or if the he was using the grommets as a preference.

My tail light will be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to install in by this Saturday, just to make sure it works.

Old 03-23-2010 | 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by supersnake83
Yeah, but I was basically asking in reference to Teko's post. I was just wondering if the rubber grommets were required to make the tail light fight correctly/tightly or if the he was using the grommets as a preference.

My tail light will be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to install in by this Saturday, just to make sure it works.
I think you do need the grommets....mine were on my last tail light i took off...I was looking for a part at lowes and stumbled across rubber grommets there (idk if they are the right size as the ones on our bike) but it might be worth a shot... Let us know how it goes or what you do!

Old 03-31-2010 | 10:54 AM

I actually ordered a few parts from D2moto and have not been impressed.
Got the integrated tail, and flush mount turn signals for my 04 f4i and a pair of gloves.
First, I ordered the gloves in size large but come to find out their system puts them in the checkout as medium and there's no way to change it.
Second, the flush mount turn signals don't fit the socket and I am *not* splicing wires.
Third, the integrated tail light needs modification just to plug up. The yellow block that controls the tail and brake light doesn't actually fit in the housing because it's too long and pokes into the resistor. Even disregarding that, the product doesn't function as a brake light. I get the tail light powered on, the blinkers working correctly but no brake function.
Turn around time on emails to D2moto seem to be around 5 business days. So, pretty much if you get a product that happens to work, lucky you. If not....good luck getting it sorted out.
I for one won't be buying anymore products from that site.
And just so we're clear...I know how to modify parts, solder electrical connections and all that BS but I shouldn't have to. If the product says "Direct bolt on; Easy installation, no modification required", then it should work without modification.

Old 03-31-2010 | 12:09 PM

My experiences with D2moto.com has been great. All of my products have been low cost and speedy shipping. My flush mounts went where they were suppose to go . I had to splice to wires but that was no big deal. My integrated tail light fit great, once again I did have to splice the wires for th signals but the brake light/tail light plug right into the existing harness . My mirrors matched up with the hole originally there for the old mirrors. My cheapo hands grips was surprisingly "ok" for a $5 dollar set. Last thing is my bar ends and they screwed right in with no problem .

Quick Reply: Question about integrated tail light fitment