F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

The Project Begins

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright well today was 60 degrees sunny and watching guys running around on there bikes is driving me NUTS...

so anyway i get in more work today... installed the stator/cover installed the clutch cover timing chain and guides.

getting ready to set the timing and re-install the shims... then verify my clearances... then final case cleaning and throttle body cleaning and hook up.. then re-install engine on bike

Old 02-17-2013, 03:09 AM

alright ... well i reinstalled the cams and shims, this evening. went through the clearance check found two valves out of spec so i will go get the shims i need tomorrow if the shop is open... might have to wait till friday ... man i am ready to RIDE!!!!!!!!!

it is F-ing killing me .....

the rotation of the engine felt really good with the cams in

after i get the clearances set i will be doing the final clean up and install the engine

Old 02-24-2013, 10:30 PM

well anyway i ordered up the shims due to fact that weather was going to be horrible...so i am waiting impatiently LOL....

anyway i still have to clean the tank up so i took on the task of smoothing out the stunt dent and completed repairing of a weld failure do to the stunters dent .

BEFORE

repair bronze brazed over break

as a precaution i went ahead and coated with jb weld it is leak free but better to be safe

ground the jb weld down closer to tank contour and promote adhesion
and coated with a thick coat of filler....

block sanded remove alot of material and took to smoother finish with less waves

applied a THIN layer of filler to take care of smalle imperfection and clean up a few low spots i will be block sanding it in the coming day or 2.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Thumbs up

Been following this thread for a couple months now, gotta say I feel like a wuss when it came to working on my F4i. I can't wait to see it all put together, I hope to see a video of it running! This is better than watching Breaking Bad... also, what about throttle body sync?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM

i will be performing it at start-up .... i have a dual port digital monometer that i used to set gas pressure and static pressures, that i will just need to get some adapters for it...
no biggy just going to be a headache

Old 02-26-2013, 02:16 PM

alright well i finished the stunt dent... nice and smooth ..NO I AM NOT GOING TO STUNT..
something about what that dent does for looks i just flat out like it...

well while i was doing the work i sanded the tank getting it ready for prime/sealer and removing chipping i pulled the naked lady off well good thing under that found some warping from tank stands no big deal will get it smoothed out....

i know some of you read this and wonder why i just didn't replace it ... it's about the look ... it really changes the look... and sets it off the way i like...

Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 AM

alright shims arived... set the clearances on the last 2 valves that needed it
assembled uper half installed the oil sensor and speed sensor.. getting ready to clean and install the throttle body...

it's coming soon woo hoo

oh on a side not i had used all my assembly bolts for the engine except the oil pan... then i had this one bolt i couldn't think where the hell it went....DOOH!!
alright after thinking i would be searching through the engine and i would be going back to ripping it down i dozed out... when i woke up i literally slapped my self in the forehead man i am a dumbass sometimes it was the bolt used to hold the horn on.... man that falling asleep saved me from ripping the engine down to figure out the bold didn't go there LOL

little calling myself out on a dumbass move ... laugh guys it is funny

Old 03-02-2013, 12:23 AM

ok installed the oil pan new crush washer on the drain bolt ... installed water pump... came into verify torque on the oil cooler /filter bolt then i am back out to install the oil filter and seal the engine up to get it ready for cleaning..

i will be soaking it with simple green and scrubbing and rinsing with a spray bottle of water to avoid breaking through sealed up intake/exhaust after a good degreasing i will be installing either the engine into the bike first or the intake on to the engine first i am under debate...

any input would help .... my thought install of the engine will be harder with the intake on but install of the throttle body will be easier before i install the engine .....

Thoughts????

Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by stlcbr600f4_newb
ok installed the oil pan new crush washer on the drain bolt ... installed water pump... came into verify torque on the oil cooler /filter bolt then i am back out to install the oil filter and seal the engine up to get it ready for cleaning..

i will be soaking it with simple green and scrubbing and rinsing with a spray bottle of water to avoid breaking through sealed up intake/exhaust after a good degreasing i will be installing either the engine into the bike first or the intake on to the engine first i am under debate...

any input would help .... my thought install of the engine will be harder with the intake on but install of the throttle body will be easier before i install the engine .....

Thoughts????
I would install the throttle bodies first, you wanna make sure its all on nice and tight and that all the lines are perfect before you set it back in the bike.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 PM

thank you that's what i will do

Quick Reply: The Project Begins