F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

The Project Begins

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Project Begins

Well after some fun through the season it was running smooth

my hand has been forced
been dealing with abnormal knock after putting a camera down the sparkplug hole and investigating i found extreme carbon build up. to rule it out i cleaned them..

after cleaning my knock moved out of the top end to the lower end.. so i free'd up all the junk and gave the piston more free movement ... when i heard that i shut down drain the oil and here we are GOLD....

so the fun is going to begin. i have calculated the cost and concidered the idea of buying a new engine. i know i will rip apart the new one soooo.

i am going to drop the power plant out and split the case and go through it and see all the problems...

i know some people are going to say just get a low mileage engine.. if someone has one cheap i will... and the cost is effective. i have time i am not in a big hurry and i am extremely particular on things being accurate. i know i am not going to half a## this .

i was already planning on dropping the engine to clean it up and turn it into show quality bike.... i just have one more thing to go through... hopefully i caught it before the crank or rod have been worn just bearings.... we will see..

i will be taking alot of pictures and will post it all

so wish me luck..its going to be a long winter

my biggest concern is how to support the engine during removal lol... a simple bump....

Old 11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wassup brah, When get ready to take the motor out put a dolly with wheels on it.They you can move it freely and not have to worry about tearing your nuts to move it!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Ahh good call ... havent thought about it much i spent my day diagnosing issues to get myself ready for the task at hand.

dropped the oil pan to see how much brass i had in the pan....

i come to find quite a bit... i found gray partical and i know the clutch has been abused and i have held onto it to long during a shift. i am hoping it is from the clutch... it's going to be interesting it's all steel alloy it gets picked up by a magnet....

it could be anything chewed up bearings and crank we will see

we will see as long as it didnt screw the block it can be fixed. if the block ios screwed it will force me into a new engine... keep the fingers crossed

yeah you guys know this stuff already i am just thinking it out

Last edited by stlcbr600f4_newb; 11-19-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:21 AM

ok well as luck may have it i decided to contact a person about some f4i engines and if things go according to plan i will be trading out a welder i dont use anymore and get 2 f4i engines both in running condition. one has a bad head gasket other has a broken mount.
so out of the 3 engines i will have i should be able to build up a killer . with expecting the worse. i have gained extra parts none the less for a tool i no longer use..... maybe i will have 100 post by the time i have completed i can sell some of the extras.... i am really in hopes maybe build a second engine have a back up..... first things first get my machine looking and riding like new....

Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM

thats a good deal!!

Old 11-22-2012, 01:25 AM

yeah it is one of those too good to be true deals..... we will see i am not betting on it till the deal is done and engines are in my garage... till then i am moving forward as i am not getting them. so we will see

Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by stlcbr600f4_newb
ok well as luck may have it i decided to contact a person about some f4i engines and if things go according to plan i will be trading out a welder i dont use anymore and get 2 f4i engines both in running condition. one has a bad head gasket other has a broken mount.
so out of the 3 engines i will have i should be able to build up a killer . with expecting the worse. i have gained extra parts none the less for a tool i no longer use..... maybe i will have 100 post by the time i have completed i can sell some of the extras.... i am really in hopes maybe build a second engine have a back up..... first things first get my machine looking and riding like new....
Any idea on what year the engines are? And what kind of miles they have on em? Probably doesnt matter, just curious.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:39 PM

no idea.. but really not much of a concern it's all based on the condition of the parts in my opinion..if they don't check out they are gone and hit the scrap bin....if they don't work for me then i wont pawn them off on anyone else. i am suppose to pick them up tomorrow ... just message the guy to confirm our trade.. so we will see .....i am not getting my hopes up keeping myself ground and prepared for the worst case scenerio

Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 AM

well as expected deal was to good to be true cause it fell through... move on according to play.... i will have updates

Old 12-04-2012, 12:35 AM

Going forward as planned he is a little progress really not much ...

before

stunt dent the local stunters are drooling over trying to trade me for

popping the tank to trouble shoot

Made the commitment that this bike will never be the same.... new look cleaner style...

dropped the engine out 130lbs of wight loss for the bike...
and the engine strip down is pressing i am not far from seeing how bad the bad is...

benched engine prep to take it to bits and pieces

Quick Reply: The Project Begins