F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

The Project Begins

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK another excitement update!!!!!!

got the clutch kit ordered up and a new set of tires...... picked up a new neutral sensor since mine was worn... was getting N flicker when warm..before rebuild

so last cost i will have is going to be Oil, Coolant, tire mount and balance..

maybe a few additional items also you never know during the assembly process i might find a few hidden issues .... i am expecting something or anything..

better to be prepared than to be under prepared

Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 AM

installed the piston rings last night, installed pistons earlier tonight.
installed the crank to the pistons... will be sealing the casing up this weekend and get the engine all together.
taking the wheels up tomorrow to get the new tires put on... and get the fluids and oil filter.. clutch is suppose to come in tomorrow and i am rocking and rolling..
should have it assembled soon enough month or so

Old 02-10-2013, 04:48 PM

alright a little update.....big movement though

installed the wheels and rotors bike now has new tires...

bearing,pistons&rings,new crank,installed flywheel, new clutch basket
kevlar clutch kit...yes i know no synthetic oil

all in all the low end is put together... lubed up with assembly lube

set the lower aside and cleaned the head gasket area on the head and started chemical cleaning the carbon away... so it is soaking right now...

will be installing the head later this week... checking clearances trying to get the engine all sealed up.....

going to clean the engine case when it is all said and done and then paint the engine....

Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM

surely you have more pictures??

Old 02-10-2013, 07:04 PM

a few i will take a few more tonight .... hands where hammered with oil and assembly lube couldn't handle my phone ...

Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 PM

well went out to take photos and do some cleaning on the valves and after some cleaning i completely side tracked from taking photos...

after some cleaning i went to soak the intake and exhaust ports come to find out i have improper seating.... so now a bump in the road... i am going to compress the valve down and see if i can free up the debri and get a proper seating .... if not i have a hell of a cleaning i am going to be doing..

i really don't want to do valve lapping ... it looks like a draw out task....

but do it right or don't do it at all...

i was looking really close i did not find any impact points... it doesn't look angled/bent in any fashion... just looks to be carbon deposits ..

which is not surprising at all... so lets hope i can clean it up and simply move on....
i mean look at what the piston looked like... all due to crappy plugs used by the previous owner

but i bet my luck i will be lapping valves and cursing up a storm the entire way through it.....

Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM

nasty! but at least you found it, otherwise you would of burned it up something fierce or if it was an intake something nastier i bet.
that looks like a gunked up piston, is that your valves??? if so then holy crap. and still a piston that bad i think would be concerning it almost looks like oil got in.
could it be blow by sucked out the stuck valve? i thought you pulled your pistons and replaced some though.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by RudyGT
nasty! but at least you found it, otherwise you would of burned it up something fierce or if it was an intake something nastier i bet.
that looks like a gunked up piston, is that your valves??? if so then holy crap. and still a piston that bad i think would be concerning it almost looks like oil got in.
could it be blow by sucked out the stuck valve? i thought you pulled your pistons and replaced some though.
the piston was that bad due to the fact copper crap plugs where used...
when i changed them after i bought the bike they where horrible looking plugs..
so i spent so long fighting the carbon with cleaners treatments... on top of that had a vac leak.... alot of careless issues that lead me to the place i am in now...

BUT!!!!! on a positive note i stopped and picked up a 6inch C-Clamp to compress the valve without removing the holding shims... did a quick once over with a brass brush and a quick wipe down... valve is seated properly

WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!! yeah might not be lapping valves... never know i am going to go through it all in detail... really haven't ruled out the possibility but the build up that is there a good cleaning i should be clear to go..

Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 PM

ok well went through all the intake valves and brushed and wiped clean..

performed a leak down test with rubbing alcohol and no leaks on the intake side.. man that was a relief next the exhaust valves.... i will do that tomorrow night... all goes well i will have the engine done far above schedule

Old 02-13-2013, 11:36 PM

Alright finished up the cleaning of the head ... installed the head
next i will be adjusting clearances for the valve assembly...

here is a couple pics

Quick Reply: The Project Begins