F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

The Project Begins

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok installing the engine SUCKS!!!!!!!! i have read so many places oh its easy to pull the engine and put it in .... MY @##... i knew it would be a fight not having anyone to help..
i got it

ok after having a one on one battle with my engine and frame engine is in.... just have to hook up the rear suspension bracket and torque to spec...

getting along i will have it all together soon i will take some pictures here shortly....

Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM

alright well hooked my battery up on the charger and charged up..
set my rear suspension bracket shifter kick stand.. hooked up the lower wiring harness for the puls gen and brake oil press and hooked up the starter.

found my new front tire low today so i will be airing it up and hping it's just the valve stem maybe hoping it's noy the seating of the tire... they said they would clean it.. so we will see i will have the tank and the rest of the wiring done this week i will be cranking it over by sunday...

down fall i won't be rolling it except down the street cause i am going to running muffler free ....just the exhaust manifold and a 45 degree pipe...
i decided to either cut the current muffler or order a new one..
i am going to order a new one....

Last edited by stlcbr600f4_newb; 03-03-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:57 PM

ok after some pain i painted the tank after the first coat i started to notice a cracking in some of the coating....sooo all the areas that i performed the work on didn't so i got to thinking what could cause it..... well 90 percent of the time it was due to incorrect prep but i did everything ... reason i found after taking a grinder bit and stripping the paint off i found 1/8 of a inch and more in some areas built paint..... so i stripped all the paint off except for the areas i performed body work already..

the chemical reaction with the lower paints cause the improper performance of paint ..

after stripping i skim coated areas with fill to smooth out small flaws and primed..
i am between coats right now.

so in a nutshell i was cussing up a storm until i got to this point... but it will be ok.... i will post up the pictures tomorrow... right now i am exhausted i am going to finish priming this SOB

Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 PM

OK I HAVE TO CAP LOCK THIS !!!!!
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTT'S
RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNING........... ..

YEAH HAVE TO YELL TIME TO TUrn it down.....
ok here is the info.. so i ran tight on funds soooooo i cut the exhaust i had
actually sounds good real good.
but anyway i have the tank in prime letting it cure started it up and listened
took a couple cycles of the starter and it fired up like a champ..

let it warm up and started to give it some throttle... get things moving sound tight and solid... so i started looking around checking everything.. found a leak on the water pump torque issue it was extremely close to spec..
gas tank was leaking at the fuel pump tighted up and stopped will fill all the way up and verify tomorrow.

but what has me really pissed is brand new gaskets on the oil pain and i have a unstoppable leak.. right at the corner..thinking there is a gasket issue..
even know it's brand new gasket.. i am going to drain and re-use this oil since it only has 12/20 minutes of run time...
so i will be setting this down and draining the oil to check the gasket... probably going to have to use gasket maker/ with the gasket.

but the run down ... i used a screw driver to listen to internal
ok stator smooth motion no tap or scrape sounds..
valve train.. smooth sound no tap or slap
timing chain motion audible by listening no sound during operation without screw driver...

low end at clutch there is a rythmic sound not abnormal at all..

feel of the bike no shake jitter strong vibrations.... i will be taking it or a test ride this week after i handle the few issues i have.... i will be uploading pictures and videos in the coming days/weeks....

very eventful day.. and i am excited at the current progress

Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah yes. There are few better sounds than a project bike roaring to life. Especially if hasn't been running in a while. Congrats.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM

little update... fuel pump leak found... solution found that the stainless filter a length of it got caught in the gasket... solved

oil leak solved..when installing the oil oil pan the gasket ripped just inside the bolt and outside creation a gasket free section... i think gasket maker is better for the oil pan now that i look back on it.. but i sealed that section and we are leak free oil aspect.

let it run longer today get to full temp and that's when it got interesting..
just before the stat went to full open all my coolant lines that where close to tight started to wheep a little so it was waling around check and correct i tighted 4 or 5 hose clamps and solved all leaks but one the water pump it dripped a little during the run... i will run it again later this week cause it kind of looked like transfer....i will be keeping a close eye on it ..

easy fix just have to drain the coolant. and not let the pump come out of the block LOL otherwise BIG Mess

prepping the tank for paint in a strong personal debate if i am going to paint it straight black or get the airbrush out we will see

talk to you guys later i will get the pictures up soon ...

Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 PM

ok well been a little bit since my last update ..
finish up the base color on the tank and a light clear coat till i get to air brush it. install and took the bike out for a spin..
handling was great felt good nice turns good forward brakes rear brake feels a little soft i will bleed more and adjust.
found a cracked coolant line that pissed a little during tstat open.... so i will be draining coolant and replacing the line or trimming it down.

going to pull the muffler back off and do some detail work on the bike get some clean up done and finish it up...
then it's time to airbrush if i decide not wait until next season of downtime...

i will be uploading pictures later this evening

Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 AM

tank strip down

smooth out

tank painted parked after test ride ..REAL DIRTY NEEDS Cleaning and alot of final touches

my leak puddle sad moment upon my return

there are still alot of need to do things but it's operational with a few issues..
i will be hitting up the paint store and figuring out my paint scheme the more i look at it i think i might take the bike to a lighter color still in the air

Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 PM

ok well after alot of fighting and alot of cuts and bruises i was able to remove the hose from the wax idler to the engine block and get it shortened up to remove the cracked part of the line.
sealed the water pump drip... so i ran the engine and checked for leaks .. ran up the temp to cycle on the fan for the radiator... sprayed the muffler flat black... and buffed to a satin finish...
so it's official full run to temp with out any issues....
going to change the oil and filter and crush washer...
i have been drawing up designs for the tank and trying to determine the final design on the bike... it will come together... it's just taking time and hitting up the drawing board with a fresh idea each sit down... i search and search to see what people have published online and try to be different

Last edited by stlcbr600f4_newb; 03-25-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 PM

ok here it is re did the seats tank protector and finished up all the little petty things... took it out today rode it to a party and back ...OMG it feels so smooth

here it is BEFORE

AFTER

fairings look horrible in the pictures but look awesome real life..
still bent on the paint....i have a scheme hatched out but i am going to enjoy the season...i will handle the paint next winter

now it's time to spring clean the garage after the disaster that was left in the wake of all the work

Quick Reply: The Project Begins