F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Possible Starter Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Starter Problem?

I've been having this problem occassionally where the bike won't start. I turn the key and then all the electronics come on, press the start button, nothing happens. I found that this problem occurs mainly when I stall the bike out. For example, I'll put the bike in gear, release the clutch and let it stall. I'll then try to restart the bike and nothing happens. Take out the key, redo the entire start procedure, still nothing. I'll keep doing this over and over, and then after several several tries, the bike will start right up.

I've had this happen once when I just turned off the bike through the ignition key to take a break, and tried to start it up. Several tries later, started right up.

Keep in mind, though, I really only have this problem when the bike stalls. Otherwise, the bike has no problem starting up. I only ride my bike on the weekends and it's never had a problem or trouble starting up. Only have this problem when the bike stalls.

Possibly a battery problem? Or maybe even the starter?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:08 AM
Default RE: Possible Starter Problem?

Hmmm...if you have to take your key out, it might be some sort of electrical issue. When you refer to "stalls" what exactly do you mean, you have the bike in neutral and the clutch is released, and your engine at idle? When the bike does not start, is there power to your gauges and the headlight come on? Does the bike make a clicking noise when you press the start button? Have you tried putting the bike in gear, with the key in the on position and "popping the clutch" while moving forward the "jump start" the bike? Have you checked the fuses in the bike? You could have one that is bad, and has a slight connection in it to start infrequently.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Stephens

Hmmm...if you have to take your key out, it might be some sort of electrical issue. When you refer to "stalls" what exactly do you mean, you have the bike in neutral and the clutch is released, and your engine at idle? When the bike does not start, is there power to your gauges and the headlight come on? Does the bike make a clicking noise when you press the start button? Have you tried putting the bike in gear, with the key in the on position and "popping the clutch" while moving forward the "jump start" the bike? Have you checked the fuses in the bike? You could have one that is bad, and has a slight connection in it to start infrequently.
When I refer to stall, I mean when the bike is in gear and I release the clutch lever. The engine will die and then have trouble starting up again, until I try it over and over and over.

When the bike does not start, everything electrical still works (gauges, headlights, etc).

The bike does not make a clicking noise when I press the start button.

I have not tried putting the bike in gear and popping the clutch.

The fuses in the bike are all good from what I've seen.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 AM

Well. if you are in gear, you shouldn't let the clutch out unless you are ready to accelerate forward, and giving the bike gas. Letting the clutch out and not going anywhere is not good on the clutch or transmission. The clicking noise would be a low battery when attempting to start the bike. Try popping the clutch when moving and see if it starts that way, I have drained my battery before, and jump started it that way, but I like to do it with a hill, makes less pushing.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:55 AM

Thanks for your input. I don't stall it on purpose. Sometimes I just don't add enough throttle so the bike dies...so I end up stranded on the street until it's clear and safe to push the bike to the side. Then I go through all that and it starts up again. There is no clicking noise which is why I think it might be a starter problem. Thanks again for your thoughts

Old 05-01-2007, 03:13 AM

Your welcome, thats what this forum is all about, helping out as much as we can. I like your avatar, great shot.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:59 AM

I know that this is of no help to you, but my girlfriend's car does the exact same thing!

It always starts just fine.... except when she accidently kills it.... then she has to wait for like 10 minutes before it will start again...

I have tons of car/mechanic experience and I still have no idea what it could be.... I will be watching for a solution!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Your not by chance droppin side stand from instinct when bike dies out . I'm, sure you know with it in gear and stand down it won't start.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Stephens:
Thanks . I love how this forum doesn't have so many e-thugs...haha

Steelballz:
That's interesting. Maybe it's just one of those things that just happen..

Ruftags:
No, the kickstand remains up while all this happens.