F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Starter Problem HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Starter Problem HELP!!!

Long story short, over the past 6 months, I streetfighter'd my 600f2. I'm trying to crank the engine over before I put fuel/ coolant in to ensure good lubrication.

When I connect 12v power straight to the top of the starter, with clean grounds, all i hear is a click and then an electrical buzzing if i leave the power connected.

I took the starter out, connected it to power and it turns fine.
I can crank the engine over by hand.

I did have the starter out for the build process but I'm pretty sure it is installed properly.
I feel like either the starter is caught up on something and wont turn or it doesnt have the ***** to turn the engine.

It worked fine before rebuild. Are there any tests i can do for the starter? I really dont want to pull the crankcase cover off. I guess i could try cranking it without sparkplugs in. Any ideas???

Old 09-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Push start and see If she runs

Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Push start if she runs...if she does run...check battery if enough juice? Or starter may need to go..

Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the buzz is from under the seat, might be the relay. The switch to
the starter actually powers a relay that can carry the hvy load that a
starter needs. Yours might not be working properly.

Ern

Old 09-01-2011, 06:05 PM

I elimated all that as being a problem by putting power directly to the starter and not going thru switches or relays. I can't bump start it because I don't have the carbs tuned yet after the rebuild

Old 09-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has the bike been crashed? The starter (1) turns an idler gear (2) which turns the starter clutch (3) which is on the flywheel. If something is jammed in there, your bike won't turn over. I'd pull the flywheel and see if something is wrong there. You will need a flywheel puller tool.

The casting on the block and case cover that held the idler gear broke off on my bike, and the starter would usually turn over but every once in a while it got jammed up against the case or something and wouldn't turn. Eventually the idler gear got out of line and the starter would spin free for a while. I fixed it by making a couple parts on the lathe and drilling the block to locate the idler gear. This could be your problem too, hopefully it's not something that bad!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jtkardel
Has the bike been crashed? The starter (1) turns an idler gear (2) which turns the starter clutch (3) which is on the flywheel. If something is jammed in there, your bike won't turn over. I'd pull the flywheel and see if something is wrong there. You will need a flywheel puller tool.

The casting on the block and case cover that held the idler gear broke off on my bike, and the starter would usually turn over but every once in a while it got jammed up against the case or something and wouldn't turn. Eventually the idler gear got out of line and the starter would spin free for a while. I fixed it by making a couple parts on the lathe and drilling the block to locate the idler gear. This could be your problem too, hopefully it's not something that bad!

So if something is jammed in the gears causing the starter not to turb, the engine wouldnt crank by hand right?

It cranks just fine by hand.

I havent had a chance to look at it yet, but ima try a better battery with more juice today.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:24 PM

No, the starter clutch will not let a blockage on the idler gear to prevent the flywheel from turning. It only lets the starter turn the flywheel, not the other way around. Something's preventing the starter from turning the engine, although you can turn it over by hand. My bet is that the starter idler gear is jammed.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:00 AM

sorry to threadjack, but if the idle gear is jammed will the bike still run?